appreciation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sandslinger2

hello all,
I would like to extend my appreciation for the vast knowledge I have found on this forum, I have spent countless hours reading and learning here, I recently ( 9 months ago) found my way back into the reef keeping hobby after 7 years, Before that I had a reef for about 6 years small 30 gallon with a wet dry HOB filter with a protein skimmer, the lights were old school florecents 5 of them.
It was a nice tank but nothing compared to my new set up, 9 months ago I set up a 30 with the same wet dry and also bought a CF coralife hood, In the next few months I watched that tank surpass my old tank obviously the light was needed,130 watt made such a difference, Again I spent hours reading this forum, trying to learn new technics what you are all doing now and so forth,
I started a new set up march 12th, The new set up is a 40 tall, with a 20 long sump/fuge DIY, a mag7 return pump, a seaclone 100 skimmer ( bad move I know) the fuge area I have live rock 15 lbs or so , cheato fist size clump, 3"-4" sand ( out of the old tank), 2 1oo watt heaters in the sump area, In the display tank I have all the live rock from my old 30 and have also added some new rock total I would say about 80 lbs, For lighting the new tank I took the coralife hood apart built a new canopy added the two 65 watt acitics to the out side edges and added a 250 watt halide 10K, the halide is about 7" from the surface and the acitics are about 5", I run the halide 11 hours a day and the acitics 13 hours a day, Internally I built a closed loop system that is under the sand for the most part 1 pipe runs down the center of the back wall and I have a 8" upright in each front corner 3/16 holes drilled into and a rio 600 powering it for water movement, I also built an auto top off system with a 7 gall container a float and a air pump, ro/do water.
The tank is gorgeous and I owe it all to you guys! Thanks! I cant stop staring at it...help
Although I do miss the 30 gal the nano I bought a month ago helps LOL..

Now you all know the specs of the new tank You can see I am set up to keep most anything, 9 watts a gallon give or take. The water parameters stay constant so far, alk 3.0, PH 8.3, calcium 535, ammonia 0, nitrate 0,
nitrite 0, salinity 1.024.

Clean up crew: 8-10 snails, 10 or so blue legged hermits, 1 astrea snail.
I found 1 emerald crab and some other kind of crab when I changed over from the 30 to the new set up and took them to the lfs, I believe they were the ones eating the coraline algae in the 30.
I also have 1 pumping zenia, 1 singapore anenome, 3 zoo rocks, 1 rock with some sort of covering polyps, still trying to identify just grew on one of the new rocks in about a week, I also have a anenome I cant identify with what I can only describe as feathers around his mouth he spilt the day I was going to do the change over so I waited three days for him to recover but I had to do it and thought I lost both of them, last night I saw they survived. I tryed to keep control and not buy anything because of the new set up so thats all I have.
I would like to start populating the tank now and never having a set up that could support "anything" Im not sure where to start.
I have to call on all you experienced reefers!
Does anyone see any issues with my set up?
Can you make any suggestions on corals that would strive in my conditions?

Again I would like to say thanks to all of you and reef frontiers for all the help you didnt even know you were giving me..LOL Please excuse the lengthy post I have seen so many posts that dont give enough information maybe I gave to much.

Well thats just great news. Means alot to know Reef Frontiers helped you through the trials and tribultions. Get some pictures up so we can all admire it!!
As per issues, dont really see any, the calcium is a bit high, I perfer my levels around 425 max. But other then that you looking pretty good.
The tank is still a bit young and will probibly go through some algae blooms as the bacteria population stabilizes. As per corals it really all depends on you, equipment wise you can go with pretty much anything. If SPS are your ultimate goal then I would probibly wait a few more months just to get through the uglies and make sure all is really stable.

lets see it??

Mike

I'll ditto Mike's comments.

What species of fish do you plan to keep?

pics

The calcium seems to stay up there Its slowly coming down, when all the rock came over from the 30 I figured with it being stable and about 9 months old it would help get the calcium under control, I use Instant ocean sea salt I wonder if thats what is doing it, how would I bring that down other than water changes? I forgot to mention my two fish..LOL you will see them in the pic, also temp is 79 degrees. The actual tank has been set up and running for about three months, all my live stock I added 2 1/2 weeks ago, also the sand up sand in the tank is 40 lbs LS, The cycle it went thru wasn't much, the clean up crew was just added about two weeks ago it didn't take them long!

The fish Im not sure of, I want to stick with softies and maybe a few sps, so the fish part Im confused on I dont want anything that will disturb the reef, But Im wide open to suggestions, This whole process was originally planed as a proto for the 80 gall in the garage that needs to come in but now this tank will be permanent, I love it and have already seen things i will do different next time, like more room...LOL the 80 will have to wait until I recover from the trauma.. :)

Well thanks again mike and Nikki I have read many threads you two were part of and appreciate you sharing your knowledge...

Last edited:
For right now I would just let the calcium come down on its own as it gets used in the tank.

take care

Mike

Back