Reef Keeper
jayHammerspawn_Red_Starfish.jpg

Tank of the Month April
Jaysauce's 50 gallon
[PRBREAK][/PRBREAK]

Owner

Thi-le and Jayson (jaysauce)

Tank Size
50 Gallon AquaPro Rimless Display Tank (36"x18"x18") w/ 9 Gallon AquaPro Rimless Sump (12"x12"x14")

Lighting
2x AquaIllumination Nanos

Filtration
Bubble Magus NAC6a skimmer, Bulk Reef Supply Carbon & GFO in mesh bag, Bulk Reef Supply Biopellets in TLF150 reactor
Full_Tank_Shot5.jpg

jayGold_Torch_Yellow_Goniopora.jpg
Live Stock
Clownfish, Chromis, ORA Green Mandarin, Lyretail Anthias, Scooter Blenny, Sixline Wrasse, Red Spotted Dottyback, Bengaii Cardinals, Bicolor Pseudochromis, Astrea Snails, Hermit Crabs, Nassarius Snails, Fighting Conchs, Rose Bubble Tip Anemone, Red Linkia Starfish, Flame Algae

Date Tank Was Started
December 1, 2011

How Did You Get Into This Hobby?
I intended to give Thi-Le a freshwater tank as a gift for Valentine's Day, but when we went to the store to pick out the fish, we left with everything needed to get started in saltwater. After 2 years and a lot of learning, this is where we ended up.

What Was Your Favorite Part of The Build?
The formation of the rocks was our favorite part of the build. It was really fun trying to arrange and glue the pukani rocks together in a way that was aesthetically pleasing. We really wanted to make the rockscape look light, open, and appealing from all four sides of the tank.
jayCalcium_Reactor.jpg

Clams_Acans.jpg
Dosing and Schedule.
Day 1 (Sunday) - 5% water change, 10 drops KoralColor
Day 2 (Monday) - 1/3 capful MB7, 10 drops KoralColor
Day 3 (Tuesday) - 10 drops KoralColor
Day 4 (Wednesday) - 1/3 capful MB7, 10 drops KoralColor, 15 drops Replenish
Day 5 (Thursday) - 10 drops KoralColor
Day 6 (Friday) - 1/3 capful MB7, 10 drops KoralColor
Day 7 (Saturday) - 10 drops KoralColor

We have a calcium reactor setup in anticipation for a higher calcium load once the tank matures further. Right now we have water circulating through the reactor. There is no additional dosing other than as stated above to maintain calcium, magnesium and alkalinity.

Feeding (Fish and Coral) and Schedule.
Day 1 (Sunday) - 1 1/2" cube of mysis shrimp
Day 2 (Monday) - 1 1/2" cube of mysis shrimp, 6 drops amino acids
Day 3 (Tuesday) - 1 1/2" cube of mysis shrimp, , Formula 1 flake
Day 4 (Wednesday) - 1 1/2" cube of mysis shrimp, Pinch of CoralFrenzy
Day 5 (Thursday) - 1 1/2" cube of mysis shrimp, 6 drops amino acids
Day 6 (Friday) - 1 1/2" cube of mysis shrimp, Formula 1 flake
Day 7 (Saturday) - 1 1/2" cube of mysis shrimp, Fauna Marine LPS food

The mysis shrimp is usually done early morning and on the days when there is a second food type, that is given early evening
jayBig_Goniopora.jpg

ORA_Red_Goniopora.jpg
Do You Have a Favorite Fish and Why?
The pair of clownfish is our favorite because they were the very first fish we added to our very first tank. They have been with us since the beginning and we plan on keeping them for as long as they both shall live =]

What Is Your Favorite Type of Coral?
Our favorite types of corals are euphyllia because we like how they give movement to the tank. We like the ones that have vibrant and interesting colors such as our gold torch.
Pink_Zipper_Paly.jpg

A link to Jaysons Tank

Congrates Jayson a real clean beautiful reef tank. Let me know which sponsor you would like to get your Gift Cert from?

take care

Mike

Jayson, this tank was love:love:,love:love:,love:love: at first site. Very cleaver lighting, just awesome setup overall. Congratulations on a TOTM, very well deserved.

Wow, Both my wife and I marveled at the fashion in which this was built. This is very Clean, so the focus is on the Reef and it's inhabitants, not a bunch of Equiptment..:)

Great Idea on the shades for the Light Fixtures, that's an extra touch we have not seen before!!

Congrats on your TOTM, but most of all, Congrats on having a beautiful REEF....:):)

yes, absolutely luv the way you did your lights the same as that tank over on RB...
i saw those and also wanted to the same... and you even managed to get nanos
in there as opposed to the par 38 bulbs used on that build. it just looks great!!

Sweet tank! +1 on the lights (I won't show this to my wife she might get jelious, and make me do something like that.)

Beautiful tank and lovely setup. I can see lots of thoughts, lots of works and surely lots of passion in there. Very nice RF fellows too! Congratulation to you two :)

Congrats Thi-le and Jayson on a very nice clean looking reef. All around a very nice looking set up.

Cheers,
Alex

congrats, love the look/simplicity. i tried to argue with my girlfriend to move the tank to the same spot in oiur living room but she wasn't having it. you have any jumpers yet with the open top?

James

congrats, love the look/simplicity. i tried to argue with my girlfriend to move the tank to the same spot in oiur living room but she wasn't having it. you have any jumpers yet with the open top?

James

My girlfriend had to convince me to put it between the the living room and breakfast table area...and I'm glad she was persuasive. Keep trying! =) We had a yellow watchman goby that jumped, but that has been the only fish.

Back