Aqua C EV-200 Modification

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Speed Racer

Hi everyone. I have an older Aqua C EV-200 skimmer. I bought it used and was never all that happy with it. I called Jason at Aqua C and told him my complaints and asked him about using a bigger pump. I started with a rio 3100 which was junk, then a mag 12 and then called him to ask about a mag 24. He told me the mag 24 was to much and that even a mag 18 would be too big. I decided to buy the mag 18 anyways. I took the skimmer apart and soaked it in vinegar for a few days. I then replumbed it using a Y instead of a T and added the mag 18. The EV 200 has two injectors instead of the single injector that the newer models now have. Anyhow, It worked great!

I began getting full cups every other day. I left it that way for about a year. Well, lately it has gone back to not skimming as much again. So I took it apart and soaked it again in vinegar for a few days. This time I decided not to use the mag 18 but try the mag 12. Instead of using both injectors I decided to use one. I put a plastic pipe plug in the place of the second injector. Well, it works great! Full cups once again every other day. I did drill the air hole bigger on the side with injector. I am very happy overall with this skimmer. I wanted to post the mod so that maybe someone else could do it.

The outlet gate valve had to be fully opened when I used the mag 18. It was too powerful but it did work. I have my skimmer on a platform in my sump. I keep my sump level high for more water volumne. Well, with this new modification, the mag 12 now allows me to use the gate valve. It is currently 1/4 of the way closed and the water level inside the skimmer is right where it's suppose to be. It is working great. I hope this helps someone.

do you have any pics of the drilled air hole and the orientation of the "Y" piece? Not exactly sure I follow.

I don't have any pics but I could try to get some. The EV-200 has holes already drilled from the factory. All I did was enlarge the hole two sizes up. I merely just took my drill bit set and found the drill bit that fit and then went two sizes up.

As for the Y, The EV-200 has a single hose coming from the pump into the skimmer. In the case of the EV-200 the line needs to be split in order to go into the factory two spray injectors. When I bought the EV-200 it had a T installed in order to split the single hose coming out of the pump into two lines going into the spray injectors. The T fitting cut down flow and pressure. I merely changed it out for a Y fitting. It splits it just the same as a T but it doesn't cut down on flow like a T. The Y fitting is available at Marine Depot. It is called Insert Y Fitting. Here is the one I used: http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=FT7944

What I am finding out now is that a single spray injector is more efficent than the two. I am running a mag 12 with a hose going straight into a single injector and it working very well. I hope that helps some. Let me know if it doesn't.

Sorry...

to bring up a year old thread, but I have the EV-200 that I have been trying to "tweak" for some time now.

Is the single injector with the mag 12 still working good for you or have you changed it?

Jay

I have since sold the tank and skimmer. The single injector with the mag 12 worked great. Full cup of skimmate everyday.

Back