Aquacultured Live Rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

chazbier

I had to down scale my tank to a twenty gallon since I've moved into a condo. My old tank had Fiji live rock in it, which I sold. I've been dong some research on aquacultured live rock and found a place with the initials TBS that seems really good. Also the best fish store in town here changed from selling fiji rock to Carribean Aquacultured live rock about a year and a half ago so I can't get Fiji unless I order it. My question is how many people have had success with the aquacultured rock. Also will this Carribean rock mix with species from the pacific well? What about hitchhikers and organisms that may be detrimental to the reef being part of the aquacultured rock? I suppose there is less of a die off on the aquacultured because it doesn't travel all the way from the Pacific, but does this mean things I don't want will survive. Also I assume water temps change to a greater degree off of Florida than in the Pacific Ocean, does this mean I should buy the rock at a certain time of the year? Whew! I have so many questions about the aquacultured rock please let me know any tips, any information those of you may have that have had success with this type of rock. I also wonder about the issue of reefs being destroyed for my consumer needs vs. Aquacultured. But that's another thread.

I know a lot of people swear by Tampa Bay Saltwater. The best part about it is they ship it in water so there is a lot less die off. You will get a ton of life on the rock from corals to sponges, but you will also get the hitchhikers that go along with that. I wanted to go that route but was short on funds at the time. I have some carribean live rock in my tank that I bought from e-tropicals. I have been very pleased with it. I got snails on it that reproduce readily, a pistol shrimp a few non-photosynthetic anenomes. (and also a sump crab. :lol: ) They shipped two day instead of overnight and I think I lost a lot more stuff because of it. I have mostly fiji currently but the carribean definitly adds some really cool shapes.

FWIW
Brian

tbs

i have 3 tanks with tbs rock. i started with a 33 and it worked so well i did a 75 and now i have added tbs rock to my 55 fo tank. the tbs is loaded with coral and sponge in addition to crabs, all types of bi-valves and i even have gotton a baby fish hitchhicker. if taken care of most of the life survives long term. visit their web site to see a list of critters. richard is a great guy to deal with. bob t, a tbs addict!

Welcome to Reef Frontiers, chazbier and bobt2!!!

4.gif

I've read about a lot of folks getting more nasty hitchhikers from aquacultured rock, things like mantis, crabs, etc. Other folks have had great success, so you just have to be aware you have a greater chance of getting a nasty.

As far as die off occuring from the Pacific, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. A lot of things survive the shipping process. I have a tank full of Pukani live rock, and you wouldn't believe the stuff that survived the off the charts ammonia spike from my curing and cycling process. Also, if you buy from a store or online vendor, then the rock may already be in big tubs going through the cure process and dead organisms will be cleaned off.

Regardless of type of rock you buy, whether or not it is cured will be important. If the rock is uncured you will have to cure it, either in a separate container or in the tank (which jump starts the cycle process).

yes, i have gotten a mantis and theres always gorrillas. you just do a little fishing while the tank cycles.the good hitchhickers are far more numerous. brittle stars, serpent stars, porclean crabs, filter feeding cukes and so forth. i've had sw fish since the late 60's and could get into reefs till i saw tbs. totally different look that pacific rock.

Thanks guys. Great information. I guess if I decide to buy Carribean I can get it locally. The Fish Store has an immaculate reputation (they've even held fish for the new Ga Aquarium in their tanks) and I'm sure they will have ridden the rocks of nasty hitchhikers (or a least the most obvious) before they put it out in their sale tank. Of course I'll ask them about this. And I guess from what mungus is saying you can mix Pacific with Carribean, that makes it more interesting, definitely. I plan on curing the rock for at least 6-8 weeks in the tank. So I just have to decide which rock to use. Pacific or Carribean? Keep up the great advice, and thanks.

Last edited:
actually, from what i've heard all the florida aquaculture sites except tbs were wiped out by the red tides this year. you may have to deal ditect with tbs for florida rock. they have 2 sites, one in the gulf and one in the keys

Back