Aquarium Chiller recommendation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

louhan

Hi,

I am planning on getting a 75 gallon salt water tank which I need to keep around 55-60 F. Which chiller that has a good track record will be able to do this? I'm a little concerned because, though there are plenty of chillers out there with enough power to do this, a few I've read said the temperature range was 60 or 70 and up, suggesting their temperature controller won't let you set it below those numbers. The others don't say, but I'm wary it's the same thing. The only one that I found that specifically states you can set it where I need it to be is Via Aqua chiller (42-99). Anyone know anything about this one or any other chiller that may serve my needs? One review said the temperature controller goes after a couple years on this one. Thanks very much!

I have a Via Aqua 1/4 hp chiller and like it. It is on a medusa controller. Use it to keep my 180 system in 77 degree range with lots of pumps and 3 halides plus the VHO.

Mike, how long have you had your via aqua ? No problem with your controller? It's the one that came with the chiller, right?

Harleydude, thanks for the pointer. The site is a big skimpy on details. I sent them an email though.

All day long. I should have gotten a 1/3 hp.

Thanks Mike, I got a 125 plus a large 60g sump so I'm holding lots of water myself. I just purchased an aqualogic 1/4hp with their controller. I'm still working on the installation & sump flow design because of this, I'll replum it because of my findings. I found that removing the one 8" fan from the hood, I heated up the tank very fast, Indeed the chiller was working very hard. Once I get the design & changes made I'll post up the details on my tank in the showcase forum.

You can modify most any chiller to drop the temps down that low. Sounds like your doing a cold water tank. Are you using thick acrylic 1.5" or 2"? This will be the real deciding factor as to what chillers to look at.

Don

What is necessary mods to make a chiller drop water lower?

Usually just the cut off points. Some will need a larger condenser fan to get them down lower. Once you have the tank down that low a ranco combined with the chiller will keep it plenty low as log as you have the right set-up. A thick tank is a must or you will just have a sweat box. Remember the toilets of yester year that rotted out your bathroom floor?

Don

Where can you get a thick acrylic tank? Normal pet supply stores don't have them, do they? Most I've been to barely have a decent selection of aquariums 75G and up.

Tradewind chillers have worked well for me and they stand behind their product. I have 1/3 Super on a 330 gal tank. Sizing chillers is very important especially considering they are quite expensive.

Where can you get a thick acrylic tank? Normal pet supply stores don't have them, do they? Most I've been to barely have a decent selection of aquariums 75G and up.

Most any LFS can order you a tank from IAP or any other of the tank builders. I doubt you will find one thick enough for a cold water tank already made. You may even want to contact Steve W. Search here, I think there may be a thread about his cold water system.

Don

Back