Aquascaping

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

goinpronhl9

Anyone have any helpful tips or pointers or basic strategy for aquascaping in a tank? Pictures would be helpful. My tank is just lookin preetty bland! Thanks for the input!

I like the looks of lots of caves and ledges. The hardest thing to do when aquascaping like that is making sure its sturdy and wont fall. Here is a couple of pics eventhough they are not the best, you get the idea. Also, look throught the member show case forum. There is lots of really good pics.
14.jpg

3.jpg

Keep space between the rock and the back of the tank. put your rock in and test for dead spots and move things around to reduce them.

Welcome to RF!
Yeah... You want to try and create a reef structure that is open so that water can flow through and around as much of the rock structure as possible. This will reduce the amount of areas where detritus and debris can settle and accumulate and then break down creating an excessive nutrient problem.
You can also look for these books which have information and examples of suitable reef structures in them...

"The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Paletta

"The Reef Aquarium"- volume #1 of the series by Delbeek and Sprung

hth:)

Llarian thanks ofr the link thats prolle the coolest tank ive seen. Is that a home reef? Were they usinf zip ties to keep things in place? I had wondered if there were any tricks to keepin things in place thanks for the link Again!

They were drilling holes and using plastic dowel rods. Underwater epoxy worksgood also al long as it balance decent before you use it.

Llarian thanks ofr the link thats prolle the coolest tank ive seen. Is that a home reef? Were they usinf zip ties to keep things in place? I had wondered if there were any tricks to keepin things in place thanks for the link Again!

Pretty much what Brenden said.

We used a combination of zip ties, acrylic dowel w/ spade bits to drill the holes, a small hatchet to trim off bits, and a chop saw with a masonry blade to flatten the ends of some tall pieces so they could be glued directly to the bottom of the tank.

That is indeed a home tank. It belongs to mojoreef, one of the Reeffrontiers Administrators, although he's been somewhat absent lately.

-Dylan

Back