Aragamilk and Purple-up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm tagging along on this thread... I looked up Purple Up on RC and 50% of the responses loved it and said it was great and the other 50% said it was worthless... Through my research on Coralline, I've found the biggest factor in coralline growth is PATIENCE :) Keep your water quality high and make sure Calcium is around 400 and remember to keep an eye on you Alk (2.5 - 3.5 meq/l) when supplementing Calcium. I've also read that coralline likes high water flow, and actinic lighting and it seems to grow faster under PC's when compared to Metal Halides. Oh and one last thing, keep your Strontium and Magnesium (around 1300) levels steady which can be achieved by doing your water changes. Hope this helps a bit!!

I have and do use aragmilk for supplemental Ca and Alk for my customers who will not or are not able to use kalkwasser. I also use aragmilk for RoDi reclaim for the few freshwater tanks I take care of. Only real problem is the people who wont are cant use kalkwasser, also wont use the aragmilk regularly, and often fail to add thier make up water as well. So I go and do it for them and charge them for it as well. LOL I like aragmilk it does tend to clump up inside though and needs to be shaken a LOT!!!!! before use. It clears up after use in about 20 mins or less. Its not a bad product in my experince. I know nothing about purple up. Steve

i've also used (still do) aragamilk and am impressed with the results. the biggest complaint that people seem to have with it is that it clouds up the water for a while.
i put it in right before i leave for work, and again right after the lights go out, so i never really see the cloudiness.
steve's right on the clumping thing. it basically turns back into a disc shaped coral skeleton if you let it sit in the bottle too long without aggitation (you can cut the hard residue out of the bottle and toss it into your sump).
it seems to be pretty mild on the system.

I used both products when I first set up my tank and have to say that it is the very quickest that I have ever seen coralline algea spread. I just finished using the last of the aragamilk and don't think I will purchase more as I am about to set up a calcium reactor.

Back