Are diatoms the same as cyano?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I've wondered the same thing too Jiddy. I always thought of them as the same thing. Are you experiencing some problems in your tank or are you just curious? Great question BTW...

No,

Diatoms utilize silicates from the water to build their "shells" along with phosphates. They are very common in new tanks until they (along with sponges) bind up all of the available silica. Assuming that top-off water and waterchange water is silica free, you won't likely have too many problems with them anymore. Common color is brown to beige.

Cyanobacteria doesn't need silicates at all. It is quite efficient at binding phosphorus so good husbandry is needed to avoid excess P inputs. If there is P available, their populations can grow quite quickly. Common colors are brown, red, maroon, or green.

Curtswearing said:
No,

Diatoms utilize silicates from the water to build their "shells" along with phosphates. They are very common in new tanks until they (along with sponges) bind up all of the available silica. Assuming that top-off water and waterchange water is silica free, you won't likely have too many problems with them anymore. Common color is brown to beige.

Cyanobacteria doesn't need silicates at all. It is quite efficient at binding phosphorus so good husbandry is needed to avoid excess P inputs. If there is P available, their populations can grow quite quickly. Common colors are brown, red, maroon, or green.
Curt, isn't also true that cyano can be caused by over feeding? Shoot, can be caused by several things at once--rather than just being one cause.

Anne

My2heartboys said:
Curt, isn't also true that cyano can be caused by over feeding? Shoot, can be caused by several things at once--rather than just being one cause.

Certainly overfeeding is a major cause of cyanbacteria. Any food you add to your tank goes one of two places. Inside a fish. That fish will retain roughly 10% of the nutrients of the food it eats. Then the remainder will become waste. Or you overfed and nothing ate it. It just fell behind your rocks and then rotted. As you can see, overfeeding hits you negatively even if the fish eat most of the food because more food equals more waste.

Either way. Whether it is fish poop or it is just rotting food, the end result is the same. Bacteria will hop on these nutrients like white on rice. A common cure for cyanobacteria is to increase flow so that waste doesn't collect in a dead spot as you want it in the water column so that your skimmer can grab it.

negitive ghostrider. Flyby is unauthorised the pattern is full.

LOL!!! I must have been typing when Steve typed that out. Good one. :)

Back