Are these Feather Dusters or Something Else?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SPAuthentic

Hello Reef Frontier,

I recently bought some Live Rock off Craigslist and I'm not too sure what this stuff growing on it is. He told me it was Dead Feather Dusters but I was kinda skeptical.... He gave it to me at a great price so I didn't complain and I figured with all the great information here, I could find a way to get rid of it.

Anyone know what this stuff is and if it is harmful or not?

looks like one of the Calupra algaes I'd plan on keeping it in the dark for a while unless you plan on lots of tangs in the tank.

Thanks, I figured it might be algae... I looked at it close enough to know it wasn't aptasia and I was kinda satisfied after that.

Here are some pics of it in water. I extremely new to saltwater but have been doing alot of reading here. This place is great!

My tank is currently cycling (only 3 days old!) so I can keep it in the dark for long enough for it hopefully to die off.

Thanks for the info!

Nice start. Let me know when you're ready for some frags. I need to thin out what I have in my tank. I'm also in federal way.

It's kinda hard to tell from the picture but if they are hard tubes I would think they are small feather dusters.

Back