Are Triggers safe around sps corals?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

crazydante23

reefer
I have a niger trigger and a narrow line puffer and a big eye fish. They are all around 3 inches long. Would it be safe to put them in a sps only tank. hard coral only. Thanks

Puffer will not be, Niger is hit and miss, I would say no also
I did add a Blue throat trigger to my mainly sps tank, but have not seen any issues so far ( been a few months now)
Dav

thumperss,
Did you have a bad experience with these two fish and hard corals?
Or are you just talking about them going after the clean-up crew?

I remember people telling me that they'll pick off the inverts but did not hear anything about hard corals. I had a humumu trigger and a fugu puffer a while ago in a sps tank and they'd eat a snail once in a while but never saw them go after the corals. I had been mulling getting another humuhumu but not if people have seen them pick on corals.

Last edited:
just to be safe i said no couse lets say 5 trigges 2 or 3 out of them will eat corals or inverts but the other ones won't tuch them for anythang. that is alsowith any fish you know the saying don't but a bunch of tangs togather but some fish are eazy going and some are bullys.
Brandon

My fish dont bother my seastars and my turbo snails. I wanted to merge both tanks into one. and I didnt want to get rid of these fish. I just wanted to make sure they didnt munch on my sps.

Well since you already own the fish and it is either move them or pass them along, give it a shot. If they start munching on the corals, then decide at that point. Be sure to keep em well fed...

Ive got a bluethroat peacefully living in my sps only tank

fly guy - triggers of the genus Xanthichthys are generally labeled as "reef safe". They are certainly beautiful!

I think that as long as you stick with the more peaceful ones. I have had a 10" pinktail that had never done anything to my reef tank besides moving things around. I also have a niger trigger that i have had for about 2 years now and he has never touched anything. I got the niger when he was about an inch long or less though.

good luck

-augustus

Back