Are Turbo snails worth buying?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

porksoda

Nano-Reefer
I guys i have another question. lol. Well i dont know if i am doing anything wrong or what but evertime i buy turbo snail they die in like 1 month. Is this normal? I have like a grave yard at the bottom of my tank of shells from turbos lol. And everytime i put some in i dont see them clean my take as good as the LFS seller tells me. lol. All my levels are good. So yeah. Just a question. Also what is the best snails to buy to clean the tank? Also off subject which is the best crabs too? Thanks alot guys! Later,

pablo

Asteria

First off all snails have to be acclimated slowly,and second turbo snails need plenty of algae to thrive long term.Asteria snails have a much stronger shell and the opening is quite small.This make them much less prone to be turned over and devoured.They also are more apt to eat algae such as biopsis,and diotom.As far as hermits go,i would leave them to a minimum untill your tank is matured.

First off all snails have to be acclimated slowly,and second turbo snails need plenty of algae to thrive long term.Asteria snails have a much stronger shell and the opening is quite small.This make them much less prone to be turned over and devoured.They also are more apt to eat algae such as biopsis,and diotom.As far as hermits go,i would leave them to a minimum untill your tank is matured.

Oh 0k Thanks for the info! Great info! Thanks alot!

personally i like turbo snails, they're great eaters of algae and i always have more for them to eat. A problem with some of them is that they come from lower temperature environments, like 76 degrees i think rather than like 80 which many people keep their tanks around, this shortens their life span from what i've heard.

Hi,

Like you I have had several in the main tank and a couple in the sump tank, those in the main tank all crawled down the weir and lived out their days in there, might be some alive still but not sure. Thought they were selfish considering I gave them a great home with great company. Lol
The other snails in the sump however are still alive today, seems these guys like the dark, like the fact the water is not as turbulant and just seem more at home if that makes sense or maybe these guys just dont live that long no expert maybe someone out there could advise?

All I have is turbos 3 of them in my 24 aquapod and they are the best thing ever. Just make sure your corals are anchored down as they tend to plow them down if they are not anchored.

Back