As the silicone dries...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kcharm

I just added the baffles for my sump and I hope I put them in the correct spot...please let me know if all will work as I have envisioned.

The display is a 29 gallon, the same size tank as the sump. I'd like to put a skimmer and refugium in the sump. Oh, and the tank is bb.

The CPR overflow will flow into a skimmer area. Because I do not know what skimmer I want (leaning towards the Aqua C Urchin, but an ASM is also a serious consideration) I left 9 inches between the side of the sump and the first baffle. I did the typical bubble trap with 3 pieces of acrylic, the middle one being sealed on the bottom, the two outside of it having about an inch underneath. Each piece of acrylic is 9 inches tall so, in theory, my water depth should be 9 inches.

On the other side of the sump I have placed another baffle as an overflow into the area for the return pump. The pump is a Mag9.5 so I've left about 4.5 inches for it...I'm worried that's cutting it close. Also into this chamber I'll be placing the tubing for a DIY auto topoff.

The area between the triple baffle and the pump baffle is for the macroalgae. Is that enough space for an effective refugium? I'm already pretty sure I'm going to be running too much flow, but it is what it is.

Any other suggestions on what I can do or should do with the sump would be most appreciated.

Thanks all

Here's a bump for you. It sounds pretty good to me. I have a small return pump area, with the top off going in that compartment, as well. As for the skimmer section, that distance will just depend on the footprint of the skimmer with pump. I use the middle section in my sump for heaters and probes, as well as additional live rock. The only thing I have to suggest is to check the level of the sump water when the power goes out to make sure you don't overflow the sump.

Post pics if you can - I'd like to see what you made!

Back