ASM Baby-G or Octopus 110?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Meche

Kole Trickle
Anyone have experience with these two? Either better than the other?

Thanks.

Here's a bump. I'd talk to Bob (reefdaddy) because he sells them both or Mark (skimmershisperer) because he messes with every skimmer out there:)

Lol, ya I was looking at Bob's site, thats why I was compairing the two. I'm still thinking about making my own because it sounds like if you want a bullitproof skimmer you need to spend $300 on a ER; not happening.

But I was reading a post about the octos and it sounds like they work for most people.

i have the baby g and it works great for my 37 gal tank.
I have only heard good things about the octopus and i can bet you anything people will tell you to buy one and from pictures i have seen i'd g with an octopus myself :).

how big is your tank or the tank your gonna put it in?

im gonna look up the specs on both and let you know, i have owned a baby-g, (now on gabby's tank:) )and currentluy own an octopus skimmer, but it's a 150..
but off the top im going to say octopus because of the build quality, they are built just as well as the less expensive euroreef rs series, much better than asm. im still out on the hailea pump(octopus nw) and their venturi , which has me a little bewildered, im still waiting for my dweyer air meter to come in the mail...but i dont think they perform quite as well as the sedra pumps....but to compensate for this they use slightly larger pumps on their skimmers..so it comes down to lph of air sucktion vs. contact time, to see if one is better than the other.
also, what size system are we talking about skimming here??

:lol: Just tell Nemo you couldn't find him because you were out getting high... ON SEAWEED! :lol:

well actually maybe more like 75 because of a 20gal AGA sump.

Ive had the Octopus 110 for a little over a week or so, and I'm sooo glad I bought it! It is easy to use, clean, its quiet, and best of all it WORKS GREAT!

i would say the octopus, but i don't have any experience with the ASM's..when i bought my Octopus, it was between the ASM and the Octo..i am happy with the Octo..it pulls out some nasty stuff...never had a problem with it......by the way, you are on the right website for those skimmers.....Aquarium Extreme has some crazy low prices!!! i have been recommending them!!!

I'd hold out until mid sept and ask for one from the latest shippments. According to vue they made yet more pump changes hopefully for the better. Same pump just improved design. If your on a pretty tight budget and will not be able to afford a new pump if it fails, I'd go with the asm. I dont think that octopus has been around long enough to concider them dependable although they may turn out to be.

Don

OK, so sounds like either way its a good pick. I'm still not sure about spending that kind of money on plastic pieces parts. Not that I'm worried about the money just the principle (or principal?)

Thanks for your help guys and doodetes

Back