ASM G-1 skimmer has problems :/

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ASMRules

My ASM skimmer I had running for three weeks is not skimming so great on my 55 gallon. I have a heavy bioload and I am getting maybe a 1/4 to half cup of light green skimate which isn't so great. The skimmer is driven with a sedra 2500 needle wheel. The pump is attached to the skimmer by a uniseal instead of a elbow plastic like the G-2's and G-3's. I noticed I have a couple of small tears on the rubber uniseal, which a little water is spurting out? Would this slow production of the bubbles in the skimmer. I must say that this skimmer really doesn't produce a ton of bubbles. Other thing is the venturi, I tried to clean the venturi stuck a metal tip of the close hanger in the venturi hole. Now is the hanger tip suppose to reach the other side of the hole? I can't tell. I have the sedra pump faced downward attached to the skimmer, should it be faced upwards? Just curious if any other G-1 skimmer folks are having problems.

I don't have that skimmer, but woukd like to ask if the bubble denisty has changed. If i has you may want to see if the impeller of the pump has taken any damage. The venturi may not have a hole big enough for the hanger to go through, you may want to take the pump out and examine it real good, and clean the venturi with more of a toothpick type item.

Back