ASM G3 recirc mod issues...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mr James

I have a couple questions about my G3 with the gate valve and recirculation mod. It seems as though the pump doesn't stay seated in the Uniseals. I may use a plastic belt and wrap it around the body of the skimmer and the pump and cinch it down with zip ties to get it to stay together. Anyone have a similar problem??

I was about to give up and use my MR-2 skimmer instead (sell the G3), but the MR-2 doesn't fit into the sump as easily. So I guess it gets to be sold off.

which way you have the uniseal? is the tapered end going inward or outward? The only thing I could think of the hole is to large . that Mod can be touchy. but once done it can really improve the preformance.

Going inward with the lip on the outside of the skimmer body. The hole may be too large indeed. This was mod'ed by the previous owner. I am responsible for the other mod, the easy one, the gate valve mod. I am going to do what I said above and cinch it down like you would do for trailering an ATV or something. I am going to use a plastic strap and azip tie and kind of hold it together. at least it's not a show piece and will be hidden in the sump.

The pump should fit VERY snug into the uniseal. I had a hard time to get my pump in the uniseal. Do you have the pump pushed in far enough?

If the hole is too large and you cannot get it to seal right you might want to try using a coupling over the pipe and go up to the next size uniseal. I don't know what the outside diameter of a 1" coupling is but somplace like Savko Plasitc www.savko.com would probably be able to help you.

They have always been real helpful when I have had problems in the past.

I know they sell uniseals, so if you needed to get a larger one then I am sure they could take care of it.

Good Luck

Not having read how to post pictures, I am going to give it a try. At the very least, you can look in my gallery.

ok, I'm lost. Who's got a link on how to post a picture??

Not to beat this subject into the ground. But, in the picture above, the pump is shown in a horizontal position, or a standard position. Has anyone ever mounted the pump vertically?? Maybe place the elbow on the intake side and mount the pump in a vertical manner?!? Would the skimmer body support this??

To me it doesnt look like you have the venturi pushed into the lower hole far enough.

Can you see the difference in how far my venturi is pushed in?

DSCF0490.jpg

James734, I will do just that. I will contact them and see what they say.

Willy, Good picture. That is what I hadasked the kids over at RC for a few times, but nothing. Because there is no room in my sump for me to set it up like what you and I showed pictures of, I am going to try and mount it vertically.

Back