asm-g4 skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Well I can't say but from the amount of people using the G3 & like them I'd bet it wold work fine but that is just observations.

gfox - check out this post I recently put up....there is a link in there to another post that talks about skimmer ratings. You might want to go larger than the G-4.... may have overdonw it - single post. What would the stocking load be like in the 225?

Check out www.asmskimmer.com
They have more realistic ratings of the asm skimmer line. They are a dealer of asm only and do recirulation mods and gate valve mods on them as well. I would go up to a g-5 if I were in your shoes.

Nikki,
thanks for the info,right now this is in early planning stages to convert my 225 from freshwater to a reef.Right now i am leaning toward having a sump under the tank,i have about 25 inches of space to work with,if that dont work out i will have to go with a basement set-up.Then space wont be a problem.As long as i have your ear.I am thinking of using 2@250 halides plus 2 VHOS at 320 watts.I am going with mostly LPS and softies.How would they work out?
Gary

asm-g4

when you mean small boi load.how many fish do you have?what type of corals?

Gary - what are the dimensions of the tank? Do you think you will ever want to keep SPS in there?

asm -g4

as of right now i plan on keeping LPS and softies with maybe a few SPS.tanks specs are 72 L by 24 W by 30 H

The 250s should be fine, then any SPS would need to be placed higher up in the tank. If it was going to be a strict SPS, then I'd say go 400W because of the tank depth. Have you thought about using 3 MHs instead of 2?

i had thoght about using the 400 watts but the person i am buying the light from said it would be to much light for the lps and softies. i will try 2 @250 with 2 VHOS and see how it goes and lools like.Still trying to figue out on what to do with my canopy,might havt to modify it and make bigger because right now it is only 5 inches deep.thought about trying to add to it.Any suggestions?

Yeah, for sure with LPS and softies, you won't want the 400s...I was just commenting about an SPS tank needing more. As far as the canopy goes....I'll have to leave that to the more DIY inclined. What does the existing canopy look like...can you make it taller, or is it going to need a complete overhaul? Oh...after thinking about it keeping only 2 MHs is probably a better idea than going with 3. It will allow you more area for softies.

gfox said:
when you mean small boi load.how many fish do you have?what type of corals?

8-Chromis (small)
1-YT
1-Hippo
2-Skunk Clowns
1-Shrimp

Softie corals, the ASM G3 is a nice for me because of sump dimensions, i only clean it out once a week! If i was you id get the g4x, but when i was making my decisions every i talked to loved there G3 so i knew i couldnt go wrong

Back