Assorted Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MINIATUS

Is there a monitor for for measuring ALK. I have a Pinpoint PH and Calcium monitor. Didnt see a ALK one listed.

Opinions on Purigen. Good or bad.

New setup, should carbon be used.

Rowaphos is the best but expensive. Does it regenerate, to make it worth buying.

Feeding a SPSs dominant tank. What is good and what is snake piss.

Just a few questions for now.

MINIATUS :confused:

The following are my opinions:

MINIATUS said:
Is there a monitor for for measuring ALK. I have a Pinpoint PH and Calcium monitor. Didnt see a ALK one listed.

No alk probe available. But we all wish there was one ...

Opinions on Purigen. Good or bad.

Never used it, so no opinion

New setup, should carbon be used.

It generally takes a little while (months) for organics to accumulate to a problem level, depending your level of skimming. Can't hurt to put some in a bag in your sump (in a area receiving decent flow), but probably isn't necessary. One thing to be aware of - since carbon is porous, it is an excellent media for denitrifying bacteria. If you have carbon in your tank from day one, it could end up being the primary home for this bacteria. And when you take the bag out, you are suddenly removing a major portion of your denitrifying bacteria. I would use two bags, put the second in two weeks after the first, and then two weeks later take out the first one, and replace it with a new one. So you always have two bags of carbon in the sump, and are replacing the oldest one every month. That way you are not impacting the denitrifying bacteria population quite as much.

Rowaphos is the best but expensive. Does it regenerate, to make it worth buying.

Does not regenerate (at least not for mere mortals without access to an analytical lab, etc.). Still worth buying.

Find out what your SPS corals eat. Then you can either feed what they eat, or what feeds what they eat. For example - phytoplankton is not in the direct food chain for many SPS corals.
Also, beware of anecdotal evidence without reasonable explanation. For example - various glucose-compounds can stimulate polyp extension (which looks good) without necessarily actually helping the corals.

Just a few questions for now.

Rowaphos is $100 Canadain for a 500ml container. What is its life expectancy, do you know. I think I'll wait before using the carbon.
Which brings Me to this question concerning Lights and carbon. I read somewhere that Its not good to change out your lights at the same time as carbon. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
If you use a good quality carbon and change it frequently then its not an issue. I use two bags 24/7 changeone on mon and the other on wed.
Rowa is worth the money.

Don

That was Aquarium services. I cab get it alot cheaper at reefperfection and its a 15 drive. Since Im saving on shipping its about even.
I guess I shouldnt complain about cost Julian Srungs stuff is far more expensive.

MINIATUS

http://www.reefperfection.com/cat361_1.htm

Last edited:
Miniatus said:

IMO, the best food for SPS is going to be detritus/bacteria associated with it, and light. Keeping your detritus in suspension will be great. By feeding your fish, you will end up feeding your corals. For SPS, the majority of their food comes from the photosynthesis process (I think about 90% or slightly more) of the zooxanthellae, so your lighting will do the most. Here is a past thread on coral feeding: Let's Talk About ~Coral Feeding~

Hope this helps

Back