ATO Recommendation Help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just make sure your top off source isn't higher than the top off destination. The top off pump doesn't have any anti-siphon feature built in. I was about to pull the trigger on one of these to keep my sump topped off when I ran across the siphon note in the online manual.

I've read great reviews for people who use it to add water directly to their tanks.

+1 on the Tunze. I've had mine running for 10 months now, not one issue. The optical level sensor works really well...and no moving parts to get gunked up like a float switch!! (although it does have back up float switch to prevent over filling.

cool, thanks. I've had my JBJ ATO for 3 years now and decided to fail on me when I was out of town. I'm gonna take a look at Tunze>

Nah20 here uses the Tunze and loves it. I use the Litermeter3 and have had no problems with it. One thing I like about the LM3 is that it will only put in the amount of water its programmed for, no more.

This saved me once on a smaller tank when the skimmer lost a fitting and began leaking water into the stand. A typical ATO would have continued pumping in water to cover the loss, and the salinity would have nosedived, killing my tank. As it was, the sump level got low enough the return pump began sucking air and cavitating. The noise alerted me to the problem and I was able to resolve the issue w/o any problems to the tank inhabitants.

You can also set up a Tunze ATO to do the same thing by limiting the amount of water available to the ATO unit. This will however cause you to fill the ATO source water more frequently...but its a small price to pay IMO.

Nick

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to get me the Tunze ATO. If JBJ didn't fail on me, I was going to get a Vortech pump.

+1 on Autotopoff.com.

I have the Tunze and the Autotopoff.com units, both work excellent but the generic unit from autotopoff.com was much cheaper. They have an optical sensor option as well.

Back