Attaching Spa Flex hose to PVC

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Do you use grease of some sort on bulkhead gaskets

• Total voters

Ichthys

EDIT: This may not be "true" Spa Flex which I guess is white and smooth on outside. This is Blue and ribbed, the ribbing spiral is what causes the issues...

I am wondering what people use to attach Spa Flex hose to PVC. My first piece of Spa Flex had rigid couplings pre-attached to both ends that snug fit onto 1" PVC pipe, it worked great. Now I have purchased some bulk Spa Flex and it has no fittings, so I have to affix something in order to mate it to PVC. Option 1 is to glue it INSIDE a coupling. Option 2 some sort of barbed fitting. Part of the problem with Spa Flex is that it has a continuous spiral ribbing which basically creates a tiny channel for water to escape. How do people over come this?
Thanks
Ichthys
:confused:

Attachments

• imagesCAUT1TV0.jpg
    imagesCAUT1TV0.jpg
    8.6 KB
  • flexible_plastic_hose.jpg
    flexible_plastic_hose.jpg
    4.7 KB
I would say use some glue like gorilla glue and then fill in any voids with aquarium silicone and make sure and allow enough cure time.

I have never used that hosing, I am sure there are others that could chime in.

Hmm...When I had my first wet/dry in about 2003, it came with the same hose as you have in your second attachment and if I remember correctly, I think a threaded fitting (threaded on the inside) was used to convert to pvc. I'll have to dig a bit to see if I can find a picture online for you, bit for some reason something is telling me it was a threaded fitting you use and not a slip. I'll see what I can find. :)

I'm currently using the same thing, and just used a small section of rubber hose with a hose clamp on the outside.

DSCN4171.jpg

You can use the same PVC cement to bond the 'flexible' spa flex to the PVC. Just get the medium or thicker cement and use it liberally.

Yea I would go with the barb and clamp to, I hate that stuff.

Mike

I agree...I went with some flex pvc on my 38gal and loved it. You get the flexibilty a hose gives you, with the added bonus of being able to use any fitting regular pvc uses. Ichthy's if you can get your hands on some of that, you'd be much better off. Here is a picture showing some of the flex pvc I used on my 38gal cube.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Like in Krish's post that is the real spa flex, that other stuff is hose lol, big difference and you prim it and glue as pvc.

Nice plumbing work Krish, I'm planning something similar in re-doing my new 120g build project. Great product to work with and added security over full rigid PVC plumbing.

Todd

Nice plumbing work Krish, I'm planning something similar in re-doing my new 120g build project. Great product to work with and added security over full rigid PVC plumbing.

Todd

Thanks!! If you look good in the first picture you could see a second pump there for the closed loop whereas the second picture only shows one pump. The flow was a bit weak for me so I had to add another pump in there. :)

In Krish's photo you can see a 90 sweep elbow using the flex PVC, looks like it takes about 8-10 inches to get a 90, is that as tight a 90 as can be made with that type flex? The blue flex hose will almost fold in half, you can do a 90 in like 2 or 3 inches.

Nice plumbing job Krish.

For the spa flex such as the stuff Krish used, I've found the best stuff to use is either the Rain N Shine glue or Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue. The Christy's is available at Home Depot and their stuff does not require primer.

Cheers,
Alex

In Krish's photo you can see a 90 sweep elbow using the flex PVC, looks like it takes about 8-10 inches to get a 90, is that as tight a 90 as can be made with that type flex? The blue flex hose will almost fold in half, you can do a 90 in like 2 or 3 inches.

I think it can probably make a 90 in lesss than 8-10 inches, but not 2-3. :)

Hey rather than start a new thread, I have another quick question. I need a silicone gasket grease for the gaskets on bulkheads. Is there a product at HD or Lowes? I looked at lowes and didnt see anything that looked reef safe. Glass Holes.com says....Silicone plumber’s (not mechanic’s!) grease. Recommended (not required) to use on gaskets.

What do people use for this

Nice plumbing job Krish.

For the spa flex such as the stuff Krish used, I've found the best stuff to use is either the Rain N Shine glue or Christy's Red Hot Blue Glue. The Christy's is available at Home Depot and their stuff does not require primer.

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks!! Here is the photo of it with the two pumps. I wanted to re-plumb it all and make it neater with less restrictions and bends, but was so tired of messing with thing that I just altered it as quickly as I could saving as much of the old plumbing I could save and called it a day. :)

Restriction wasn't that bad either. Here is what the flow looked like and I had outputs on the bottom as well. :)

Hey rather than start a new thread, I have another quick question. I need a silicone gasket grease for the gaskets on bulkheads. Is there a product at HD or Lowes? I looked at lowes and didnt see anything that looked reef safe. Glass Holes.com says....Silicone plumber’s (not mechanic’s!) grease. Recommended (not required) to use on gaskets.

What do people use for this

I've never used any grease on my bulkheads and never had one leak. Not sure why it would be needed.

wow Krish talk about flow!! what pumps are you using, I am guessing about 500-700 gph each? so thats 1000-1400 gph in a 38? thats like 25 times turnover without even counting the sump return, mad flow! how do you keeo the sand from blowing away in such a small system with such high flow?
Thanks!! Here is the photo of it with the two pumps. I wanted to re-plumb it all and make it neater with less restrictions and bends, but was so tired of messing with thing that I just altered it as quickly as I could saving as much of the old plumbing I could save and called it a day. :)

Restriction wasn't that bad either. Here is what the flow looked like and I had outputs on the bottom as well. :)

wow Krish talk about flow!! what pumps are you using, I am guessing about 500-700 gph each? so thats 1000-1400 gph in a 38? thats like 25 times turnover without even counting the sump return, mad flow! how do you keeo the sand from blowing away in such a small system with such high flow?

Talk flow man :lol:. They were Quiet One pumps rated at 1504 gph per pump so about 3000 gph on just the closed loop then 950 gph for return. A bit over 100x turnover :p

Last edited:
Back