australian barrier reef live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

diablo

sand loving outcast
Finally australia is exporting live rock and corals. heres some pics of the rock I just got in. sorry the water is cloudy I will get better shots later. its pricey but so far I love it. I may be ordering more in the next couple weeks.
new180005.jpg

new180004.jpg

new180003.jpg

and heres a first shot of the new 180 sorry its a cloud
new180006.jpg

Fiji rock is very dense due the the fact of the demand for it over the years has them going down with hammers and breaking away from the base of the reef. instead of grabbing just peices that have broke away with storms.

the rock resembles fiji in its features but this rock hasen't been cleaned like fiji. I found favites, monti, they had even had a live clam on it, but when it got shipped being out of water for a week most died. there is a spot of sps the still has a green color but have not seen polyps. probably a goner too. in the second pic I believe that was the smallest peice that was sent. I recieved about 92 lbs boy oh boy did it smell like 18 cans of whale SH**.

I will find out when the next shippment comes from australia and as soon as they recieve I will order some more.

when it smells bad like that doesn't it mean that the live rock has passed over to become dead rock?

not really. the smell is from a long shipping experience. if it didnt stink I would worry. all that it means is there has been some organsism's that have died in the processes. one was a clam that was a easy call. it all was soup inside the shell. 7 day old chowder wasnt a nice thing when it was triple bagged. I think when you order live rock it should have a nasty smell with it. it always has about a week process before it gets into anyones hands. sometimes alittle little less than a week.

If it had no smell I would be worried!

ahhh...well my smeller is on the fritz permanently so I have to depend on others to tell me these things. :lol:

Back