auto feeders

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spieszak

I have some fish coming in that would likely prefer more than the twice daily feedings I do. Most say they do OK without the additional feedings or I wouldn't have ordered them, but... I would not object to adding an auto feeder to drop some pellets in the tank when I'm not around or able to, to just add an additional feeding into the loop.
Wondering if anyone is using an auto feeder that they might recommend? I used them years ago for FW when I was going on vacation or whatever, but there are extra challenges with saltwater. If it matters at all towards your recommendation, I would like to use it mainly for pellets, possibly with some flake mixed in if it made the dosing portions more consistent.
(oh, and as an FYI, I have an AC 3 for the tank, and I don't believe there are any 'compatible' with it.)

Well... I can't really speak on personal experience regarding the other auto feeders on the market since I've only used the common EHEIM "feed-air" feeder. Although, after some careful review online and personal experiences, this feeder does a pretty good job. I've had it for nearly 2 years without any issues whatsoever and basically clean it out once every 3-4 weeks. It does keep the food clean and dry and can feed up to 4x per day. I've been on multiple vacations both short and long and it's never failed me once so far. Regardless of its positive performance background, I still have friends care for my reef tank when I'm away for over a week. While it's certainly not the cheapest feeder on the market, I feel it's decently priced plus it's also ON SALE now at Drs. Foster and Smith online.
:dance:
:rockon:

Thanks.
After I posted I took a look at the actual size of what is available out there and I think I have to re-think it. I run t5's over the tank on 'legs'. Tank is basically covered with them. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to fit anything at all. Might be able to mount to the wall behind the tank and use a split pvc pipe as a 'chute' or something though... more of a project than I was hoping for.

The main thing (IMO) to keep in mind with auto feeders is the type of food the vast majority of them can dispense.... Flakes or Pellets.
Flakes and Pellets are both very high in phosphates and don't have very good nutritional value when compared to other foods.

However, there are several companies working on a functional and (semi) affordable version of a frozen food feeder.

If/when these frozen food feeders come online, you'll be able to thaw/rinse your own chosen foods with RODi and remove as much phosphate and preservatives as possible off/out of the food item, and refreeze it into portions that can then be used to feed your tank(s) regularly throughout the day.

The main thing (IMO) to keep in mind with auto feeders is the type of food the vast majority of them can dispense.... Flakes or Pellets.
Flakes and Pellets are both very high in phosphates and don't have very good nutritional value when compared to other foods.

However, there are several companies working on a functional and (semi) affordable version of a frozen food feeder.

If/when these frozen food feeders come online, you'll be able to thaw/rinse your own chosen foods with RODi and remove as much phosphate and preservatives as possible off/out of the food item, and refreeze it into portions that can then be used to feed your tank(s) regularly throughout the day.

I have seen independent analysis on the NLS pellets that disagrees with the statement above. I will try to find the link at home later.

Please do post it. I'd be very interested in the study.

:)

My fish don't recognize pellets as food. Flakes r more so a treat to em.
Cpr makes a tube feeder u r speaking of.

Hths

thanks on the link. i actually looked into cheap wine chillers over the weekend.. seems feasible with some planning, but i wouldn't be doing anything soon i don't think...

I've got two Avast Marine products.....both from the U built side of the business, (they sell you the parts and instructions for the build, and you do the labor. Its cheaper than the pre-built version), and I'm impressed with their stuff.

I have their Kalk stirrer, and the Bio-Pellet reactor.

If they offer a frozen food feeder, I'd be seriously interested in getting one.

I have an Eheim Auto Feeder that I feed New Spectrum pellets and it works pretty good. The door to control the amount is a little tricky, one click not enough, two clicks too much. I set it in between then tape it down.

My fish don't recognize pellets as food. Flakes r more so a treat to em.
Cpr makes a tube feeder u r speaking of.

Hths

i need something to bridge the gap between where i can mount and the tank... but the cpr thing is kind of cool anyway (cept for the part where i bet it grows algae like a champ. :) )

@Maxx found my link, its broken, but Randy's analysis i remembered is in an old post somewhere else. ill pm the link, and as staff, you can decide if its worth sharing?

I have an Eheim Auto Feeder that I feed New Spectrum pellets and it works pretty good. The door to control the amount is a little tricky, one click not enough, two clicks too much. I set it in between then tape it down.
Seems the adjustments are tricky for most people as ^this seems to be a common comment about them in the reviews. Do you have to 're-tape' it often? (wondering if the spin or actual mechanism of it, or general humidity messes with the tape)

My Eheim seems to have just enough friction in the adjuster that I can go in between clicks without tape, but has some play in the clicks. So far it stays but I'm sure I will have to go to a little packing tape or the like along the way as well.

I'm looking forward to you working out the wine cooler/doser pump idea with a solenoid valve.

Seems the adjustments are tricky for most people as ^this seems to be a common comment about them in the reviews. Do you have to 're-tape' it often? (wondering if the spin or actual mechanism of it, or general humidity messes with the tape)

Cpr smart feeder. Sry
It won't work?
-d

I think you are misunderstanding the problem. There is no room to mount the feeder on the side of the tank. Either the lights would be in the way, or the lights would be beating directing down on top of the plastic feeder. So, if I were going to do this, what I would have to do (as far as I can imagine) would be to mount the feeder on a shelf or something on the wall behind the tank, and then fashion something that would sit below where the food drops to direct it into the tank, rather than on to the floor. The cpr feeder would work, but so would just about any acrylic tube. I run a controller, so I wouldn't have a problem matching up times (at least not too much of a problem) so that the return shuts off around the time the feeder drops to prevent it all from hitting the overflow, which is what I think the cpr thing is for....
On an entirely different subject, the solenoid valve thing doesn't look as bad as I though it would.

Back