auto-top off

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fatboyt123

i want to see peoples top off systems that they made or have
i need one for my tank and want to know how much it costs to make my own rather than going and buying a new one

or if you know a cheap place to buy a new that would work

Last edited:
thanks nice tank by the way i wish if i had 4 days off i could just decide to set up a tank LOL

Float valves can and will fail. For that matter so will electronic ATO's. Spend the extras few dollars and buy a (electronic) dual float switch. There are many out there to choose from.

I've had this one for three years without problem

I just bought a float off ebay for $10.00 with shipping.

Then I drilled a hole in my sump and installed the float.

Attached my RO/DI unit directly to the float.

Works great but make sure you have a auto shut off on your RO/DI unit.
It you do not have one you can buy one for about $25.00

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43029&page=2
Salty, dont mean to pick on you but..................with all the time and energy your putting inot your system, please dont go the cheap route onyour ATO system. spend the money and get a tunze osmolator or a dual float swith like the one I posted above.

If your (anyone) going to build a nice automated reef system. Automate the best way possible.

Last edited:
I'm with Trido on this.... I like the JBJ for having a second float that will keep the ATO pump OFF if the fresh water reservoir is too low. But the one he posted is nice for having the "overfill" float.....

how many system crashes do you think that would have prevented???
D

Here is the auto top off mechanical float switch that I have used for several years without any problems. They are pretty simple in design and I think it would be difficult for them to fail, as long as you clean them every couple of months or as needed. I have the float switches hooked up to a maxijet 1200 in my RODI water container, the line has a loop in it that allows the pump to pump water right back into the container if the float switches are off, so I don't burn up the pump. What I find happens with these kinds of floats is that they almsost constantly just drip water into the tank, basically as the tank water evaporates, they fill the tank just as fast. So if the tank is evaporating water at a rate of one drop every 5 seconds, these switches will match that drip rate. You need to drill a hole or mount it on a bracket as I have done, and it can either mount vertically or horizontally.

IMG_6321.jpg

IMG_6322.jpg

Salty, dont mean to pick on you but..................with all the time and energy your putting inot your system, please dont go the cheap route onyour ATO system. spend the money and get a tunze osmolator or a dual float swith like the one I posted above.

If your (anyone) going to build a nice automated reef system. Automate the best way possible.

I will for the 630 gallon but not this one. I dont leave it on all the time anyways. Since I have to feed and check the tank at least once a day I normally just turn the RO/DI on then. You can tell when this thing ready to shut off by the sound it makes, at that point I watch it until it is full. I can't leave it on all the time anyways the Auto Shut off on the RO/DI unit has never worked and AquaFX is taking forever to get back to me about it. I am about ready to remove it from the house completely and use another brand.

For flooding I am already plumbing a drain line to the top of the sump so if I lose power or the float fails the water will drain without flooding.

Here is the auto top off mechanical float switch that I have used for several years without any problems. They are pretty simple in design and I think it would be difficult for them to fail, as long as you clean them every couple of months or as needed. I have the float switches hooked up to a maxijet 1200 in my RODI water container, the line has a loop in it that allows the pump to pump water right back into the container if the float switches are off, so I don't burn up the pump. What I find happens with these kinds of floats is that they almsost constantly just drip water into the tank, basically as the tank water evaporates, they fill the tank just as fast. So if the tank is evaporating water at a rate of one drop every 5 seconds, these switches will match that drip rate. You need to drill a hole or mount it on a bracket as I have done, and it can either mount vertically or horizontally.

Hey that looks like the same float I have, hmmmmmmm 3 years no problems??

Makes me wonder

It is probably failing as we speak :D It is constantly dripping fresh water through the valve, so not really any time for salt to build up, and I believe the part that rotates is plastic, so rust is not an issue there.

Hey that looks like the same float I have, hmmmmmmm 3 years no problems??

Makes me wonder

For flooding I am already plumbing a drain line to the top of the sump so if I lose power or the float fails the water will drain without flooding.

A great and easy safety step! The benefit of having a large system is that it would have to run a long time to adversely affect your salinity.... but it could/can/has happened. Ask Fragman about the reprecussions from such an occurance (on vacation for a week, things go wrong, etc.). I am a believer and advocate of backup mechanisms as mentioned here. NOT depending solely upon the float valve shutting your water off.

I hope I am wrong, and nothing bad ever happens! :) :) :)

One other thing- when you are determining the level for your emergency overflow, make certain that when your power goes out the level does NOT reach the overflow. Otherwise you will lose saltwater and when the power returns, replace it with fresh. Again, your large system volume would help mitigate issues, but why risk it.

Last edited:
my back up would be not leaving it on 24 / 7 at this point.

Since I have 3 others in the house besides my wife and I that enjoy this tank it is easy to find someone to look after the tank while I am away.

I just dont like depending on electricial whenever possible, even with a generator you can have something fail and knock out something else while you are at work. There is no sure fire way for all of this and everyone is an expert. The best this for anyone to do is try a couple of solutions and find out what works best for them.

There is no wrong way, yet there is no right way, only my way for me because I know it works for me.

Couldn't you put the cheap float valve on a timer for 15mins twice a day so that even if the float did fail to turn off, it would only run for 15. Sure it would only top off the at the same time each day, but it would prevent most failure before you noticed. Never tried, so its just a thought :)

-augustus

I have the same one that trido posted along with an electric solenoid, and LOVE it! that site gives many different options that are all very reasonably priced. you can get a single float switch or the double(what I have).

I bought a electric float switch from autotopoff.com for $50, set a 5 gallon bucket of ro water next to the sump, and dropped in a $20 pump, voila. Of course it does run out of water if I don't fill the 5 gallon bucket, but it certainly helped keeped a better water level on my 75 gallon tank.

This is taken from my local site.

I have had this sitting around for a time and thought that I might as well finish it. I built the latching circuit from a guy who put it on RC; I have since forgotten his name. I still have the schematic.
Today I made the bracket that will hold the float switches. One of the floats will set on top of the other. The way it works is the top float will drop and nothing will happen until the lower float drops then the RO system will start moving water via a solenoid valve. When water raises the lower float nothing happens until the water raises the upper float, then the water is shut off. The switches run on 12 volt DC and the solenoid sees 120 AC.
I made the circuit from parts found at Radio Shack. They consist of a relay, pc board and screw type terminals. Soldering one is pretty easy if you understand the schematic. It took me about 30 minutes.
I have been using a timer, solenoid and float valve to regulate my auto top off. I know that my tank uses about 4 gallons of water, through evaporation, My RO/DI is rated at 200 gpd, and I do not get that much because of water pressure. I know that I make over 5 gallons an hour, so I set the timer to stay on for an half hour in the morning and afternoon. When the water in the sump if full the float shuts off the water. This is not ideal because I still put the RO/DI against the float valve which builds TDS, The new system will shut the system down when the sump is full and not trickle through the float valve as water evaporates.
The bracket and float switch mounts are made from ¼ inch acrylic. I heated them until I could bend, the bracket was bent into an upside down channel, and the mounts are bent into an L.
I also ran the wire needed to the tank and through the basement to the RO/DI. I need to pick up some nylon screws and nuts for the bracket. So I am finished tonight.
Float_Circuit.JPG

Auto_Top_Off_1.JPG

PC_board.JPG

The next pic shows the black wires joining to telephone wire. This wire was the cheapest I could find in the length I needed. It has 5 insulated wires that are insulated together. I stripped and soldered the 4 wires keeping the color configuration on paper. This is needed to make sure the wires make it back to the pc board in the order needed. This wire follows my line from the basement ro/di to the display upstairs. I used about 80 feet. This wire also only sees 12 volt and very little amperage, just enough to power the relay coil.
DSCF00351.JPG

This pic is of the float switches in the sump on the bracket. I did a water change to set it up. The lower switch powers the relay coil when it lowers. This is about 7 gallons of sump water. I lowered it as low as I could before the sump return pump sucks air. When the upper switch raises it cuts off the power to the relay coil and water stops flowing. The mechanical float is set to stop the water about 1/2 inch above the float switch. The wires are a bit misleading, the lower one is about 1/4 of an inch from the top float, and the big wire in between the mechanical float and the switches does not make contact with anything.
DSCF00361.JPG

The last pic is of the box and solenoid valve. The wire going into the top of the box is that flat telephone wire mentioned earlier. There are two other wires that come in one is from a 12 volt converter and the other is a 120 volt wire. The 12 volt converter is to energize the relay coil, I did this because I like the idea of a weak 12 volt current in the tank, 120 volts from the house grid does not sound good.
DSCF00371.JPG

I was going to add, that adding a float switch/solenoid as a backup to a float valve setup is very easy to do, but dng's setup is a much better way to go.

You can use the float switch/solenoid backup with a timer as well, so you can have 2 backup devices to keep the sump from overflowing. Adding a float switch/solenoid is only about 30 bux as well.

Kim

Back