Auto top off

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
Im looking for one. any good suggestion on website to find one? i dont have a water source close by. so im going to have to use a water bucket as the reservoir

Im looking for one. any good suggestion on website to find one? i dont have a water source close by. so im going to have to use a water bucket as the reservoir

No sure what you mean by no close water source is. My rodi system is in the basement and keeps a 30 gal container filled. The water is the pumped up into the tank when needed (on the second floor). I use a Reef Fanatic Level Controller. It has 2 float switches. I use one for the level control in my sump and the second is in the main tank that is set to keep the top off from coming on if the tank lever is high. This will prevent a malfunction and emptying all you top off water in the tank, and causing a flood.

Shoot i just saw a link on here for a 40$ diy kit with 2 float switches maybe someone knows the one im speaking of? Ill try and find it for ya. I just got a jbj kit from a fellow rf member and i dont know why i didnt use an ato sooner lol

http://www.fishbowl-innovations.com/product/levelController

This is the unit I've been using for a few years now, Works great. No screaming alarms to annoy/scare the heck out of you in the middle of the night, just a red light that comes on to tell you your resevoir is low. Two float switches and an adjustable timer further help prevent flooding.
-Chris

Awesome thanks everyone. i was looking at aqauhub and autotopoff.com and couldnt decide between the two. And what i meant with no close water source is i live in a huge apartment and my Ro system is in a second bathroom like 50 feet away. and theres no way to run a line all the way to the tank unless i wanted to stable it to the ceiling. lol so im hopeing i can just keep 5 gallon buckets full and use that as my reservoir. plus with only 5 gallons at a time i dont have to worry about a float sticking or anything and flooding out my place. i guess i would just use an aqualifter?

That is exactly what I do...5g buckets with RO/DI water, and aqualifter pump connected/controlled by the autotopoff.com ATO. Works very well. If the 5g bucket empties, you can hear the aqualifter pump drawing air (makes a pretty loud sound), so you know it's time to add water.

Oh, BTW, if you decide to go with autotopoff.com, get one of the double switch controllers, which provides the redundancy to protect against a float sticking/flooding.

I have the Tunze ATO on my 150g, the nice thing about it is the optical sensor keeps the water level very consistent for the skimmer (the sump isn't baffled properly). On my Picotope I use a Reef Keeper Lite controller and programmed an aqualifter to run for 2.5 minutes every day. Eventually I'd like to get the SL2 module and some float switches but for right now the timing method works well enough.

Back when I bought the Tunze reef controllers weren't as affordable as they are now. The Tunze is a nice setup but if it weren't for the optical sensor and not wanting to spend time trying to dial in a new ATO on the system I would have sold it by now and let the controller take care of it.

Since setting up my pico I'm a really big fan of the RKL for $100. I know it's more expensive than some of the ATO solutions but you get a pretty complex light controller, thermometer, thermostat for heaters, chillers and fans, other timers, fail safes, and headroom for future expansion. I already had my aqualifter but I think I only paid ~$15 for it? I guess it depends on what people are looking to do but if I were to be doing a brand new setup for a friend the $120ish for a controller and aqualifter becomes affordable pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Back