Automatic feeder recommendations please

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jobiwan

I want to set up an automated feeder to dispense small quantities of flake food several times a day, it will be set in the sump return area. I want the most reliable model out there to avoid the plugging issues and such that are frequently mentioned. From the research I've done it looks like my best choices are the Rondomatic 400, Eheim 3581, and the Rena LG100. I'd appreciate any info or advice any of you could share....

Last edited:
Any of those will work well, I think I use a rainbow lifeguard electric & it works well. How does feeding in the sump work to feed fish in the main display? Last question, will you be feeding other foods because it is my understanding flakes isn't the best foods for marine fish?

In my small that is way smallexperience setting up an automatic feeder that doesn't go directly into the tank is a crap shoot at best. I tried it for one day because the automatic feeder would not fit under my canopy and lights. It looked to be a "clog" waiting to happen. I hired a very reiiable pet sitter instead.

I like the eheim with pellets, never tried flakes. Feeding the retun area of the sump works great. It allows time for the food to get shot up to the display a little here and there. Beats climbing up the tank a few times a day if you have a big or hard to reach tank.

Don

My sump is designed with a separate return chamber, so I know that will work well, my main reason for considering this is to put relatively frequent small amounts of food in the water column to allow me to try a nice school of plankton type feeders (the ones that only thrive if fed several times a day) such as cardinals, anthias, etc., and I do like the idea of the critters getting a little more consistency in their feedings instead of being subjected to my random behavior and memory lapses. As for the flake (or pellets) food issue, in my experience a fish that readily eats a premium flake food (I like Ocean Nutrition's line) is a fish that will thrive, my 2 latest additions, a golden angel and a longnose butterfly are both gobbling flake. I do make the occasional trip to the fish counter (could I have 1 scallop please?), and I throw a little plankton, krill or mysis at them sporadically (2 or 3 times a week), just because it feels right, but in my opinion it isn't really necessary with the balanced diet modern formula's provide.

I do make the occasional trip to the fish counter (could I have 1 scallop please?), and I throw a little plankton, krill or mysis at them sporadically (2 or 3 times a week), just because it feels right, but in my opinion it isn't really necessary with the balanced diet modern formula's provide.

I guess you haven't read what Lee suggest in his forum as for as feedings go, these types of foods really don't provide a balance diet for any marine fish alone, also they add stuff not even needed or shouldn't be eating, you must provide more. Check out Lee's forum for more information on this, I'm sure you will realize that there is lot more to feeding fish that a can of flakes. ;)

I guess you haven't read what Lee suggest in his forum as for as feedings go, these types of foods really don't provide a balance diet for any marine fish alone, also they add stuff not even needed or shouldn't be eating, you must provide more. Check out Lee's forum for more information on this, I'm sure you will realize that there is lot more to feeding fish that a can of flakes. ;)

I'm beginning to believe differently. After seeing the owner of NLS tank and the many many healthy fish I started feeding only NLS pellets and nori. My fish seem to be as healthy as any Ive seen and its been a almost a year. We'll see how they fair another year from now.

Don

Well I can fatten up on pizza & beer also, probably live a few years but not sure if that would be a good long term choice, but hey I'm not an expert on fish health.

Well I can fatten up on pizza & beer also, probably live a few years but not sure if that would be a good long term choice, but hey I'm not an expert on fish health.

That would be my first impression but the owner of NLS is a well published expert. I know ones mans opinion isnt gospel, but if he can keep many fish doing well for years I'm sure we can do the same.

Don

Well I do feed Ocean Nutrition's pellets after a long study of what is in it (BTW I found they provide a better pellet then spectrum IMO from the ingredients) , I was more concerned the mention of feeding fish mainly flakes which I've seen more stuff in them. Even Ocean Nutrition's frozen foods have things I don't like or understand why they add some of that stuff in them but I found one frozen product with raw ingredients with little preservatives. Don't know what NLS is so can't say that for their products.

If that is New life then compare ingredients to the Ocean Nutrition's you would see a difference when you read what Lee's suggesting, it seems to be a better product IMO again. I have only one quibble, you have to reduce the pellet size for smaller fish.

If that is New life then compare ingredients to the Ocean Nutrition's you would see a difference when you read what Lee's suggesting, it seems to be a better product IMO again. I have only one quibble, you have to reduce the pellet size for smaller fish.

IMO its a double edge sword. ON is not one of my favorites when it comes to water quality but on the other hand it looks better on paper for the fish. Spectrum is a good balance of the two with a proven track record. I'd rather let the scientist deal with the food issues and show me what works so that I can just concentrate on the hard part (water quality). Wearing to many hats just makes life entirely to confusing.

Don

I posted the wrong link at first, maybe so but their food is more natural, I feed heavy so doing more wc's is a requirement anyways. How do you determine it releases more initial "P" the NLS?

Ingredients
  Shrimp, Euphasia pacifica plankton, sardine, wheat flour, squid, fish eggs, soya-lecithin, Spirulina, salmon oil, garlic, minerals (potassium iodide, iron oxide, manganese sulfate, magnesium oxide, zinc sulfate), MPAXTM (Marine Protein Amino eXtract: fish meals, hydrolysates, select amino acids (L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, L-Trytophan)), vitamins (ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), Vitamin B12, nicotinic acid, riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), Betaine, calcium propionate, potassium sorbate, ethoxyquin, carotenoid pigments (astaxanthin, canthaxantin), yeast (Beta-glucan).

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein (min.) 38.1%
Fat (min.) 9.7%
Fiber (max.) 2.8%
Moisture (max.) 14.5%
Ash (max.) 10.5%

I see a lot of the same preservatives in each food product, lots of sulfates in NLS
Calcium pentathlete, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine, biotin, DL Alphatocopherol (E), Choline Chloride, Cobalt Sulfate, manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihyfroiodide, ethoxyquin to name a few.

I use a hana colormeter. But you can take a salifert test kit. Use the little blue spoon as a measure for the food. Dump it in the test vial add the water wait 5 minutes and perform the test as you normally would. FWIW you can do this with carbon also. If you want to see what the test kit looks like maxed out try reef chili.

Don

Back