• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Awesome Tuamota Maxima Clams

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Brie

BRA
We got in 6 HUGE, totally amazing clams today. Check em out!

#1 199.99
BigBlueTuamotaMaxima_2717.jpg

#2 199.99
GreenUltraTuamotaMaxima_2618.jpg

#3 199.99
MarbleTuamotoMaxima2_2685.jpg

GreenTuamotaMaxima2_2689.jpg

#5 99.99
GoldTuamotaMaxima2_2697.jpg

#6 99.99
GoldTuamotaMaxima1_2706.jpg

Group shot, front side
TuamotaClamsTank_2736.jpg

so are the first two clams in your pics the same as the two on the left in your last pic?
And as always nice pics Brie

so are the first two clams in your pics the same as the two on the left in your last pic?
And as always nice pics Brie

Yep, those are the two. Crazy how different clams are from the side compared to how they look from the top down. I included the last photo more for size reference.

#5, That GORGEOUS copper colored clam. How hard was that to get? I mean would it be possible to get one that color again? I really want that! but dont feel that either of my systems are up to par enough for clams yet.

Tom

well, being tuamota has just opened up for collecting (as far as i know) we have no way of knowing if we can get another like the one in pic 5 (or any for that matter). it looks like a tear drop variety so we can probably get something similar at a later date.

Second link..

http://reefbuilders.com/2009/11/03/tuamotu-tahiti-maxima-clams-are-the-reef-builders/

Exerpt from the second article, I found this really sad. :eek:

"For all of you that are about to start crying over the removal of these magnificent Maxima clams from their environment consider this: The annual quota of Maxima clam flesh for human consumption in Tahiti and Tuamotu is 50 tonnes. That’s a 100,000 lbs without the shell. Tuamotans and Tahitians really eat a lot of clam meat and our handful of live specimens will never compare with the numbers of Maxima clams that make it to their kitchen table. "

This is one dense clam population... Check out this photo... thats a 350 meter long clam bed

Mapiko_Tatakoto.jpg

Last edited:
Second link..

http://reefbuilders.com/2009/11/03/tuamotu-tahiti-maxima-clams-are-the-reef-builders/

"For all of you that are about to start crying over the removal of these magnificent Maxima clams from their environment consider this: The annual quota of Maxima clam flesh for human consumption in Tahiti and Tuamotu is 50 tonnes. That’s a 100,000 lbs without the shell. Tuamotans and Tahitians really eat a lot of clam meat and our handful of live specimens will never compare with the numbers of Maxima clams that make it to their kitchen table. "

This is one dense clam population... Check out this photo... thats a 350 meter long clam bed

Mapiko_Tatakoto.jpg

do you feel just as sad when you see people claming on our beaches?

do you feel just as sad when you see people claming on our beaches?

I'm allergic to seafood, so if you're trying to pull the "how's that cheeseburger taste?" method with me, it doesn't work. *wink wink nudge nudge* But no, I dont... Our clams aren't as pretty. ;) I don't really have a problem with people harvesting for food, just the thought of people eating something so pretty is kinda sad. lol. I'm sure they taste awesome. Andrew Zimmerman thinks they do.

When I was in Tahiti, I always saw a local towing a small boat filled with these clams. While snorkeling one morning, a local decided to be "nice" and shuck one right then and there for me to try.....which I did.....and I hate seafood. Oh well....didn't want to be the ugly American. I only wish I had a Big Mac to give in return to show what real food tastes like..... If only he knew that just a few of these are worth more than he makes in a year, he would not be eating them....he'd be exporting them.

I agree with Brie that it sad to see thousand of beautiful clams got eaten. but maybe it's the closest and easiest source of protein for the local there... plus they don't have a good export industry or foreign buyers around (otherwise clams are all gone!). I guess a local guy would be very happy if I offer to trade a $2.99 Safeway whole chicken for a dozen of ultra maxima clams :D

Second link..

Mapiko_Tatakoto.jpg

Well put Brie, this is an older pic and what was so amazing to me is how they are just piled up.....

If I had more fundage I would be snapping up one or two of those from ya.

Back