Baby (fry) pipefish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Jan

I bought some dragonfaced pipefish from LiveAquaria and one of them arrived with a bunch of live babies in the bag. At first I didn't even know what they were but after watching them swim around a while I could see tiny stripes and reflective eyes. It took me a while to go and get a breeder's net so I only managed to save a few of them before they got sucked into the powerhead or otherwise disappeared.

But I'd like to see if I can keep them alive as to my knowledge, no one is breeding these pipefish--all come from the wild and they have a poor survival rate too.

So...what do newly hatched baby pipefish eat, I wonder? Any suggestions for me?

Not knowing a lot about rasing fry myself, I would suggest you contact Elmo and see what kind of information he may have for you. I know he has done wonderfully with rasing Clown fry... and that information may help you some with these.

Best of luck!!! :D

I'm going to guess rotifiers, maybe even some really small pods as well. You might get some chaeto from your sump, grab a golf ball size piece and put it in the breeder net.

BTW, if any survive and you raise them, let me know if you're up for selling a pair.

That's a good idea

Chaeto from the sump....I can do that. I have rotifers, too. I've already sent a pm to Elmo18. :D

It's funny because after trying so hard to find these fish and finding out how poor their survival rate is, I was shocked and amazed that no one is breeding them (apparently). Then, this happens. Not that I'm al that optimistic about the outcome, but we'll see what happens.

Snowboarder, definitely I'll put you down for a pair should I be blessed with some survivers. :)

these little ones didn't last a week. I put the ones I could catch in a breeders net and tried to feed them but after a few days I couldn't see them anymore.

Back