back from diving in Hawaii (and an osmolator question)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BobinCovington

Well, my wife and I are back from a much needed vacation to Hawaii. We had fun, drank lots of mai tais and boat drinks and even did a little diving on the big island and on maui. On one dive we used those little yellow dive scooters...what a blast.

Man, those tangs are so healthy over there, fat little guys. Saw some sailfin tangs that were so big I almost didn't recognize what they were (and they must be eating well because they were really fat). Saw lots of huge beautiful butterfly fish, trumpet fish, eels, surgeon fish, parrotfish, trigger fish among others. Basically I was looking at every fish and coral and thinking..."that's probably $50 in a store!" and "I wonder if I can get that piece of live rock in my suitcase". My favorite was the schools of Manini (Convict tangs) and seeing the schools of flying fish on the way out.

But seriously...it was sure nice to get away on a trip with my wife...she has been working out of town each week since February and only home on weekends. So it was really nice.

Also now that I am back (with some new inspiration on what a reef should look like), it's back to finishing my elos tank set up. I need to get my osmolator hooked up for the ATO and then get things finished up. With no ATO system yet, I had my son adding water each day by hand while we were gone.

Anyone have suggestions on best sensor placement for my Osmolator? How far above the water level should I place each sensor and how far apart. Any tips out there on things to make sure I do when installing it?

Last edited:
Amazing isn't it? I absolutely love the schools of Convict Tangs and I never get tired of scubba here. Everytime I go out I thinking about buying 3 or 4 Convict Tangs and a few Yellow Tangs for my tank :)

sounds like you had a great time......If you were on Oahu you should have hit me up...I would have taken you out and showed you how to catch some fish and shipped it back home for you.....If you decide to come out here again the offer still stands...aloha Les @ WPH

theres something about conventional film that doesn't compare to digital... just how i feel...

even tho i have digi's also..

i just printed photo on glossy photo paper the other day... and while it looks good.. (not to mention it might have bin eazyer to build a black room and develop the film my self) it just doesnt, look the same,

sounds great... get that scanner going,

whats a osmolator
and i saw you need a ATO...
2 float switchs, and some Ro+pump is all you need.... my ATO was less then 50 bucks

shouldn't it really depend on you? mounting the probe will depend on if you have eurobracings or not and how low your water line is in your sump. probe placement is again up to u, were you want ur water level in ur sump is were u should place the optical sensor and the float valve is just there to alarm you when a over flow is happening, so i guess u should place that near the top.

Appreciate your help, I am mostly thinking the upper float switch location. How far should each probe/sensor be from the surface of the water? It is my understanding that the optical probe sits basically on the water surface with the tip just in the water at the optimum level, but is that correct?

On the upper float switch which is for overflow protection, I would think mounting it a few inches from the water surface is enough to give room for adding water, but still prevent overfilling with ATO water.

any thoughts on the best distance for that upper switch?

Back