Bad tank day...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jedimike

Woke up this morning to see white spots all over my WSM, Bubba :mad: Rest of the fish seem to be ok for now. I'm desperately searching for a good size hospital tank. (I think I have found a 55G close by).

Then, I'm feeding my corals and notice my acro is "crawling"... :mad: Seems it has red bugs.

Oh guess what, there is also some flatworms :eek:

I'm so pissed! Mainly at myself. I know where I got all of it. I bought a bunch of corals from a local reefer who was quitting the hobby. Now I know why...

The ich still confuses me. He did have an infected tang in the tank that he tried to give me, but I didn't take it. I assume that one of the pieces of coral I received had an ich cyst.

I did inject some Flatworm Exit into the tank. I was so mad, I just squirted a bunch in... probably about twice the prescribed dosage. Flatworms promptly died and as a bonus, the red bugs seemed to have died.

The ich is going to be a PITA. I have a red coris wrasse and I'm not sure how he will do in the bare bottom hospital tank. Catching him will be nearly impossible.

I'll make it through it... just needed to vent a bit. Lesson to be learned: Inspect closely and quarantine properly.

Woke up this morning to see white spots all over my WSM, Bubba :mad: Rest of the fish seem to be ok for now. I'm desperately searching for a good size hospital tank. (I think I have found a 55G close by).

Then, I'm feeding my corals and notice my acro is "crawling"... :mad: Seems it has red bugs.

Oh guess what, there is also some flatworms :eek:

I'm so pissed! Mainly at myself. I know where I got all of it. I bought a bunch of corals from a local reefer who was quitting the hobby. Now I know why...

The ich still confuses me. He did have an infected tang in the tank that he tried to give me, but I didn't take it. I assume that one of the pieces of coral I received had an ich cyst.

I did inject some Flatworm Exit into the tank. I was so mad, I just squirted a bunch in... probably about twice the prescribed dosage. Flatworms promptly died and as a bonus, the red bugs seemed to have died.

The ich is going to be a PITA. I have a red coris wrasse and I'm not sure how he will do in the bare bottom hospital tank. Catching him will be nearly impossible.

I'll make it through it... just needed to vent a bit. Lesson to be learned: Inspect closely and quarantine properly.

Wow seems bad but you can deal with it. Putting the fish In QT is a good start, add some PVC parts for the fish to hide in, that will help. Get ready to do some large wc's, them dead flatworms aren't good for the tank. I doubt the red bugs are dead but at least they got cut back some, hang in there you can recover from all this.

also, if you use a 55g for a hospital tank, you will be going through alot of salt and water when doing water changes. i use a 20l for my hospital.. i still use alot of salt when treating my fish...i do alot of water changes to keep the risk of bacterial infection down ..how do you plan on treating the fish ????? hypo or copper??

Last edited:
OK, must be a s-l-o-w day for me, but what does WSM stand for?

I think he is referring to his maroon clownfish...Bubba...whom should be known as Bubba "The Butcher" as he is not to kind to other clown fish lol.

Thanks for the replies... I plan on doing hypo. The reason I need a 55 is so I can put all of my fish in there so my display tank is entirely empty of fish. I've never treated ich before so maybe I'm wrong in my thinking...

WSM is indeed white striped maroon. My other train of thought is that the spots may be something specific to clownfish only. My other fish look just fine, including a Kole tang, which is prone to ich. I need to do more research. Anyone know of any "clownfish only" diseases?

Brooklynella, though I'm not sure if it is a "clown only" disease. Leebca of RF has written some fine articles on quarantine and treatment procedures. You might like to give them a read through.

Thanks for the replies... I plan on doing hypo. The reason I need a 55 is so I can put all of my fish in there so my display tank is entirely empty of fish. I've never treated ich before so maybe I'm wrong in my thinking...

WSM is indeed white striped maroon. My other train of thought is that the spots may be something specific to clownfish only. My other fish look just fine, including a Kole tang, which is prone to ich. I need to do more research. Anyone know of any "clownfish only" diseases?

You are correct in your thinking on treating for ich. You need to get all of the fish out of the display and leave it fallow (no fish) for 6-8 weeks. IMO might as well go 8 weeks to be sure!

I ended up with ich in my display and used a 55gal as you are planning, for my 3 tangs and a pair of clownfish. I did use a lot of salt for water changes but because of the larger volume; however, I did not have to do daily changes like I may have if I had gone to a smaller tank (a couple large WC a week and I was able to keep nitrates below 10) I think it is probably a wash (amount of salt water used for water changes) when you consider that a high bio load in a small tank will likely require at least daily water changes if not 2 - 3 a day. I also find using a larger QT for a single new fish also help in maintaining water quality as you have the larger volume that helps avoid quick changes in water quality. I ended up switching the 55 gal with a 45 I was using as a FOWLER tank and now use the 45 for QT'ing.

Just because the clown fish is the only one showing what you suspect is ich I would not rule it out. One of my tangs and one of my clowns never showed spots at all. I thought I was going to lose the male clown he had it so bad and was very distressed, while the female never showed anything. I think some fish have a higher resiustance level. Or theses same fish may be less stressed (my male clown is always being reprimended by the female to keep him in his place) and thus less suceptable to the parasite.

To help id what you are looking at I suggest the following site http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127010
it has a variety of pictures of different fish with some common diseases and parasites we see in this hobby.

Hope this helps.

Back