Ballast / Bulb Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mungus

I have a Blue Wave VII ballast with reef optix III pendants. I was using 14K Geismann DE Bulbs. On Sat. I was cleaning my pendants and wanted to change the nipple orientation on my bulbs. I took out both bulbs cleaned and replaced them. (ballast was off for at least an hour) When I fired up the ballast again one of the bulbs made an arching sound. When I looked at the bulb it looked like lighting going across the inner bulb. I turned off the ballast and check to make sure the bulb was installed properly. Turned on the ballast and the same thing happened. I took out the bulb and replaced it with a coralvue. Started up the ballast and same thing. It buzzed for about 5 seconds and then I heard a pop and the bulb stared up as if nothing was wrong.

What would have caused this? Sould I be concerned about it?

Thanks
Brian

Are the connectors for the bulbs spring loaded? If the contact points on the fixture didn't fully compress against the bulbs ends it could have been just close enough to arch then popped into place after a little bit.

Thanks Detri.
I am sure that the bulb was making proper contact cause I checked it a couple of times. (I have had many a problem in the past with another mfg's pendants being improperly wired) The arch was actually happining in the inner tube. (the small ball inside that normally lights up) It looked like lighting going accross the inner tube.

Back