Ballast question. PLEASE advise!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SB0169

Red Volitan
It is time once again to pick everyone's brains. I have a 46g with an odyssea HQI/pc fixture. (I know it's a cheapo, but I'm poor:)) It is a 175w HQI DE with a 20k bulb. Way to blue for me. 175w 10k de bulbs are next to impossible to find. I would like to change this to 250w. It has an external control box that contains the ballasts for the HQI and PC's, as well as the wiring/switches for verything. I've taken the cover off, and it looks pretty simple. Is it possible to replace the existing 175w ballast with a 250w? Would it be worth it? Could/should I just get a separate 250w hqi ballast, swap out the 175w bub for a 250, and run the hqi thru a separate unit, and the pc's thru the existing unit? Or should I just say heck with it, and run it as is until I somehow come up with the $$ for a better setup? Thanks for any advice you can give!

Kudos to you for asking the question, but in all honesty- if you are asking, you probably shouldn't tackle changing the ballast without direct help/supervision. Electricity is really simple but can cause issues if not handled properly.

Why don't you give Barrier Reef a call and see what bulbs they can source for you in the 175w DE? They may not stock it due to limited demand but I would bet there are some that could be ordered in!
Good luck, D

The socket probably would need replacing & the fixture itself probably isn't designed to handle the extra heat, sell it & get you a retro, JMA!

yea if ya got it from aqua traders ive herd alot of bad stuff about there products causing fires and other wise

did you think of askin the people you got it from or calling the manufactutor???

Back