Bandsaw?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

spllbnd2

So reading through some articles on coral fragging I noticed a lot of people using tile saws for fragging lps corals and then I noticed a few people using a Inland wet bandsaw for fragging such corals as the acans and favias. I do like the fact that with a bandsaw I can cut out just single polyps versus larger pieces.

A couple of questions that I have are,

1. Does anyone use the Inland bandsaw for coral fragging? Or any type of wet band saw for that matter.

2. Is something like a diamond bladed bandsaw going to be worth the extra $$$ versus just a $$ tile saw?

I have been looking at buying a band saw for the shop but didn't think of buying a wet type that has dry capabilities too. *lol* I just dunno which would be better tile cutter or bandsaw with diamond blade. Oh yeah then there is the tile cutting I want to do too. *lol*

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Alex

I remember that Michael, returnofsid, bought one from Harbor Freight a couple months back.

g

Yes, I saw the posts of Michael (sid) with the tile saw he bought from Harbour Freight. I checked into that. Kind of cheap and I would only be able to do strat cuts. I could get a slightly better tile saw for around 100.00 plus the cost of a blade, but then again I could spend 250 and get the bandsaw with two blades included.

I am so waffling on this decision. Crazy... *lol*

Seems pretty dangerous to me cutting very small things like corals with a band saw you better be very cautious.:D

Thanks for all the greta info. I did some checking into that Diamond wire saw and I must say that at $425 it is a bit to pricey and the fact that it would only be used for cutting coral frags as where the bandsaw I could change out the blade to a wooden cutting one and have a multi use tool. *lol*

Thanks again for the information and link.

Mark from Zesty Reef uses one, and it's the coolest fragging tool i've seen yet,
talk about precision cutting...

Very cool indeed. I am leaning towards the bandsaw for just this reason, precision cuts.

Have you any photos of any of Zesty's corals after fragging with a bandsaw?

Cheers,
Alex

I use my band saw all of the time with a regular blade just need to replace more often if you are using it for anything else.. precision cuts fast healing.. you should see the look on peoples face when I say lets go use the saw in the garage to cut you a piece

I use my band saw all of the time with a regular blade just need to replace more often if you are using it for anything else.. precision cuts fast healing.. you should see the look on peoples face when I say lets go use the saw in the garage to cut you a piece

What kind of bandsaw do you use? Just a regular bandsaw such as a Delta or do you use a bandsaw such as the Inland? I guess they are both benchtop models. *lol*

Cheers,
Alex

just a regular one nothing to special.. I do also have a tile saw but havent yet used it to frag I may give that a shot for some of the thicker rock pieces, it dosnt have as much precision/control as the band saw

what kind of band saw we talking? when i think band saw i think the "DoAll" runing a 10foot 1"blade.

like little hand saws? whats this diamond wire stuff?

what kind of band saw we talking? when i think band saw i think the "DoAll" runing a 10foot 1"blade.

like little hand saws? whats this diamond wire stuff?

The Inland company website is at http://www.inlandcraft.com/singlepr...rtment_id=29&keyword=&category=&partnum=91040

As for the diamond wire cutting blade, it is used for cutting such things as glass or crystal or even rocks. The blade has bits of diamonds embedded into the cutter.
This band saw runs approx. a 54" blade and is more of a mini band saw. The also sell a wood cutting and metal cutting blade for the band saw. And this little band saw has a water chamber for cooling or wetting your work piece as you cut.

inlandbandsaw.jpg

Comes with diamond blade for sawing agates, opals, glass, stone, and most other hard materials.
The optional WoodCut and MetalCut blades saw wood, plastics, fiberglass, leather, non-ferrous metals, printed circuit boards and more.
Replaceable BladeSert™ blade guides make the most intricate cuts simple. The upper blade/drip guide is adjustable for varying material thickness.
The coolant system provides a continuous, regulated flow of clean coolant to the diamond blade when wet sawing. Uses water for coolant to avoid messy oil clean-up.
The spring-loaded tension system, molded into the frame, insures proper wheel alignment, simple blade setup, and perfect tracking hour after hour, and enhances blade life.
The work surface is made of machined aluminum 9" x 10". Drain channels funnel coolant into the internal drain system for a clean, clear view while sawing.
The frame, cover, and water reservoir are molded entirely from structural grade thermoplastic.
All frame and interior support walls are extra thick for maximum strength and durability.

overkill, budget minded are better spending money on an expensive protein skimmer!

I already have a few good skimmers and have another one on the way for my new 65H tank.
As for the budget on a band saw versus a tile saw? Well lets just say I prefer not to go over the $300 mark. *lol* And I do prefer having my frags precisely cut and looking nice and pretty too.

Cheers,
Alex

Oh I should've mentioned that I don't usually do any budget, especially considering the wife and I took a trip to Mt St Helens today that was only going to cost a tank of gas for the Jeep, but then at the spur of the moment I spent $340 on a heli ride to see the crater of the mountain up close with a 20-30 minute total ride. Very cool and well worth the dough. *lol* Even considering it was about $17 a minute.

Last edited:
Back