Barebottom or sand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

steven11

Somethingotherthannormal!
Currently my nano has about a 1 1/2" sand bed and i have been debating on going bare. Any advice or input would be great. Thank you in advance.

Steven

Well, you will definately get all types of opinions on the subject as it has been beat to death over and over so you'll have to go with what's best for you, but my personal opinion, I love a bare bottom tank. It has been the easiest for me to keep clean and the only time I have ever read for the first time 0 nitrates, was in a bare bottom setup of mine. You aren't limited to flow options if you go bare bottom, but you will be limited on fish selection as well as critters. I love the look of sand, just IMO, it's much easier to keep a tank clean with it bare. Best of luck with it:)

Clean is what i am looking for. I dont know what to do with my nas. snails. Would they be fine in a bare bottom tank? Other than that i have two percs. turbos and hermits so they should all be fine.

P.S. Thanks Krish!

Steven

I agree with Krish, I run bare bottom (BB) as well. I'm not going to say one is better than the other. I think it just comes down to what kind of look you want. Some will argue one is better than the other, but IMO they both have the advatages and disadvantages.

Thanks James!

What kind of disadvantages will come with a bb tank other than no nas. snails?

Steven

Being able to have some of the sand sifting inhabitants, looks (some just like to have sand for looks). I'm sure there's some more, but for the most part it's can turn into one of those who's right type of things. I prefer BB, but I'm sure other can come up with a good argument for sand.

Goin for it

Ok, I am going bb for two reasons. Number one, I will admit bb nanos do look odd (if you are looking at the bottom of the tank) but an awsome looking clean tank out ways odd. Hopefully anyone would be looking at the happy corals and fish instead of noticing that there is no substrate. Number two, the whole injecting bubbles with a high flow pump every so often to stir up the "stuff" that collects just seems so common sence. I used one of my power heads just to see what kind of reaction i got from everything and liked what I had seen. Everything closed up immediatly but after 5 or so minutes more of my star polyps were open and my hammer was as big as i have ever seen it. My only question is, will my tank go through a complete recycle? I had just moved last weekend so this wont be a step back since it is already having to do so. I so have some nas. snails that will need a new home and i have a few frags for trade: xenia, zoas, and star polyps. If you are interested, please look at my post in the live stock forum. If anyone has any comments, I would love to read them. Thank you everyone for all of your input. :D

Steven
Happy reef keeping!

Steven,

I'm assuming that you are talking about John Laurenson's (ldrhawke) tank here.
the whole injecting bubbles with a high flow pump every so often to stir up the "stuff" that collects just seems so common sence.

That's a different method of BB reefkeeping. In fact there are numerous methods. The Berlin method involved a BB and a skimmer. What wasn't skimmed, was siphoned up. The Starboard method involves heavy flow and wet skimming so you don't have to siphon detritus as often. John uses bubbles as opposed to high flow. For all of these, the goal is to get the detritus to the skimmer.

None of these methods will cause your tank to go through a 'recycle'. This is misleading because your tank is cycling 24/7 and you couldn't stop it if you tried.

I was wondering if the tank would recycle after i pull the sand out. Which i am guessing is a yes to an extent. Being a nano with softies, i dont want to go to high flow.

do you have liverock in the tank???? if so,i doubt the tank will cycle again..it may be slight, but not enough to notice...your nitrates may spike after stirring up the sand..you might want to skim a little more and do a good water change afterwards!!

Well i like to hear that because my tank is full of live rock. I will take a few before and after photos to post. Thanks again!

Steven

Other thing would be to remove smaller amounts of sand at a time instead of removing it all at once. This will allow the bacteria to catch up a little at a time. Instead of playing catch up and therefore seeing a small cycle happen.

Don't know if this is a new sand bed,put in after your move.Or an established sand bed that was left in the tank when you moved.If its new and you remove it,you shouldn't see much differance in your cycle.But if its established and fine sand you may see a nitrate spike.With this being a nano and assuming its an established bed, I would just put all fish, critters,rock into buckets.drain the tank,and remove the sand.This way you wont foul the water with crap from the sandbed.Then I would add 100% new water (PH and temp adjusted)and put your livestock back in.If its a new bed,just syphon it out.But becareful of taking sand from under your rock causing them to fall.

So, how is this tank comming along?
Any pictures? How do you like BB?

You know, during the time I have been BB nobody has ever asked where the sand is, they are always asking where the fish are?

Back