Barebottom Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

greenmonkey51

I'm setting up my 40g tank with a barebottom. I have a huge beckett skimmer that I was gonna put on it, but there is a local guy willing to trade a Euroreef RS 80 for a CO2 regulator I have. The RS 80 is rated to 80g which is near what my total system is gonna be. Would this be a good choice. If I was going with a sandbed I wouldn't worry. I just know that barebottoms needs a strong skimmer.

I personally think it would be good. I just put a mesh mod on my Euroreef (non Recirc), and it is skimming even better. Just remember with a barebottom system, you need to make sure to get the detritus into the water column, so it isn't breaking down in the tank. With barebottom systems, getting the detritus into the water column is almost as important as the filtration (IMO).

That'll be plenty for that size tank. Stock or meshmod will work fine.

You think 2 Koralia 4's are enough to keep detrius in the column. I found a second overflow cheap so I'll potentially have around 1100gph for return, but that will be running through a OM squirt. I wouldn't mind getting a new Koralia magnum would that be good.

Thats alot of flow, just make sure your corals don't get blown around to much. But you should be ok.

Back