Basic cheap skimmer diagram of work

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

quibrzif

Down to the basics:
can anybody post links to the basic cheap DIY protein skimmer diagram - not just list of parts, but where is inflow and outflow, what and where makes bubbles, on what principle of work is it based (air, venturi, needlewheel or beckett), what additional equipment is used, it's specifications (gph, lph and other), main measurements?
Hopefully, it will not require buying above average skimmer just to disassemble it :)

I'm looking for DIY skimmer descriptions already for several monts, and ended completely confused - overflow with details and parts, with principle lost somewhere, most are too complicated and require too expensive parts for a common mortals. :(

My experience with skimmers is limited to venturi-driven Visi-Jet, that works good enough, but is too small for new 90g tank, and large Lee's CC skimmer, rated 90g, but can't make it work steadily - PITA in my case.

Thanks.

Thanks, but I'm looking for diagram of how the thing works, not "look what I did in my well-equipped workshop" - you know cost of router, router table and every of the router bits, just sheet of thick acrylic 2x4' costs CN$50 :) No offence, please, I appreciate your input.
Need something much-much simplier and cheaper...

I'm not really sure what your looking for. Any diy will cost money and will require some tools to build. The diy idea is to save "some" money but you really dont save alot. I really doubt you can build anything in the Lee's price range.

Don

hmmm in that case i'd recomend getting a used skimmer they can range from 80 bucks to 100 something i think that'd be a way to save some money .

I have seen a lot of people build the PVC type skimmer and it works for them. I never have done a DIY because i would screw it up so many times that by the time i finally got it right after restarting again, and again that it would just be cheaper for me to buy it new at a store.

maybe if you research a bit more and narrow it down to what style skimmer you want im sure youll get lots of direction, if you make a choice that way its easier to get a walk thru

Back