battery operated heater

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

keener1830

lawnmower
Does anyone know of a battery operated heater that you can buy or how to make one? After the 17 hours of no power my house and tank started to get pretty cold and I was afraid I was going to lose everything. any ideas would be great
thanks

Heaters draw a lot of power. One thing you can do is draw some remaining hot water from your water heater and float that in the tank. That helped keep my tank in the 70s for at least a while.

-Dylan

In the summer time I've used frozen jugs of water to cool. Why couldn't you use hot water in plastic containers. I'm assuming that there would be some way to heat water, like a bar-b-que or colman stove. ?????

a power inverter connected to your vehicle is a cheap way to keep some of yourr reef alive during power outages if you dont own a small generator

I dont know about cheap!
I did this with my ford f250 with a 460cid engine and it costed me 50 bucks in gas just idleing for 16 hrs!!!
it did the job though!!!

Matt

I wish I had thought about the hot water idea it would have been perfect because I have a gas stove so all I would of had to do was boil some water every now and then and float it in the tank. Tanks for the help

own a small generator

Hey Keener best bang for your $ is to keep an eye out for a used little Honda generator, I Have 2 one is 1000 watt rated and the other is 2000 watt rated they will both take care of my tanks for 6 hours on a single fuel and this includes running one 250 watt halide light as well ...And this advice is from a guy who works in a power plant :p

Does anyone know of a battery operated heater that you can buy or how to make one? After the 17 hours of no power my house and tank started to get pretty cold and I was afraid I was going to lose everything. any ideas would be great
thanks

yea I am going to buy one, one day you would think that I would have bought one in Puerto Rico once Jean took out my first tank

Back