BC29 LED's

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I had the rapidled 24 kit. It's well worth the money no bulb change and kept the biocube looking stock. Grew everything I put in the tank including SPS. I do recommend the dimmable kit and probably 2:1 blue white ratio area because I was using 100% blue and probably 70% white.

I ordered the LED's from Steves LED's. I went ahead & got the plug & play option (they do all the soldering & bench testing) and I also ordered a LED moonlight setup. I'll do a build with pics when they come. here's a link to the moonlight kit.
Complete Moonlight Kit

I am very impressed with the power of the REBEL ES. Their power and color are amazing. IMO a little better then CREE, and for half the price. I have built several systems utilizing both. You will be very impressed with them.

Keep us posted - We'll be building a DIY LED setup soon - so any layout maps, etc. are appreciated - there are some good ones we've found, but still like to see all the different options.

My lights came! I went with the Plug & Play option. The main reason was (#1) I really don't know squat about LED's & wiring them up (#2) Time savings. When you go Plug & Play, Not only does Steve's wire up the lights but they mount the fan & most important (at least for me) is they calibrate they main power supply so it's at maximum efficiency for longer LED life. A couple of minor drawbacks was (1) The Instructions said it comes with screws to mount the heatsink. Mine didn't, A pain when the hardware store is 20 mins. away, Also it said they were 1 1/4" screws. Well the heatsink alone is 1 1/4. Trip #2 to the hardware store for longer screws (my bad for not double checking the measurement!) (2) The dimmers do not come with knobs. I contacted Steve's thinking maybe they were left out but he said "We are currently sourcing inexpensive knobs, but haven't found anything suitable yet" Well I got a pack of 4 at Radio Shack for three bucks. That's under a buck a knob not even buying in bulk. I really doubt a $2.00 price increase would stop sales of the kit. I REALLY like the lights. I'm getting a real nice shimmer of light on my rocks & sandbed & that's running them on low. I took the temp. of the top of my cover using my digital heat gun & it was 125 degrees with the stock lighting. I took it with the LED's & it was 86 degrees (disclaimer, they were running on low power, but I don't expect a whole lot more heat when I work my way up to more light) for another $25.00 I got their Moonlight kit. It's pretty cool, It has 16 selectable colors, 8 different intensities of light & a remote control. Now on to a bunch of pics!
THE KIT AS SHIPPED, ALL ASSEMBLED
DSCF2570sm.jpg

I USED A PIECE OF LEFT OVER FAN SHROUD (that you remove) & MOUNTED THE DIMMER'S WHERE THE STOCK LIGHT SWITCHES WERE
DSCF2572sm.jpg

TOP OF THE HOOD WITH DIMMER KNOBS. I PAINTED ONE BLUE & LEFT THE OTHER SILVER SO I'D KNOW WHICH IS WHICH
DSCF2584sm.jpg

WOO HOO THEY WORK!!
DSCF2578sm.jpg

TANK SHOT, LIGHTS ON LOW
DSCF2581sm.jpg

BLUE MOONLIGHTS
DSCF2573sm.jpg

RED MOONLIGHTS
DSCF2574sm.jpg

GREEN MOONLIGHTS
DSCF2575sm.jpg

MOONLIGHT REMOTE CONTROL
DSCF2577sm.jpg

Looks awesome, glad it all came togethher. Just one question are you running the led's with the splash shield on.

The only reason I asked is because the wires were over the seal portion where the splash shield went. Are you happy with the colors. I know that Rebel's put out some amazing colors and power. So you may want to turn them down and over a couple of months slowly bring them up to 45 to 50 percent.

Ya I just quick like snapped those pics. I cut a small notch the size of the wires so they were not pinched & I've started out with the lights at about 25% power & am working my way up from there. So far everyone seems happy. I really like the colors. As far as power goes, ya buddy! when I got everything mounted in the hood I tested the lights before I buttoned everything up. WOW were they bright at full power! It's amazing how much light can come from such a tiny source.

Last edited:
I use 3xLED which I bought from marine-depot for my 29. And I like it. Only thing is they could't last long, about one year:)

Back