Been a while and i must say here it is

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

burning2nd

THings are great...

the tank has been maintenance free for years now... i almost don't do anything.. (yes that pointed at you mr I need to let my water sit for days b4 wc's)
We had our ups and downs.... sickness's that were defeated.... other little things hear and there...

unfortunately.... For this first time ever since .... god i don't know when... years and years back.

Ive made a large mistake that im sure is going to take some life away from me.... This being a two front attack on my self...

First being...

That Because i refused to throw a astrea snail in the drive way, years ago when i made the switch from 30g-120gish, Ive reinfected my self with brypsis
It was a single snail that i knew had it on the shell... I made a stupid mistake by trying to keep that little guy alive..

2nd
(now already being upset because of that little war again)

Today i desided to do a water change.. Ive been trying the 1600ppm Mg thing again... (which i can tell you im back on the "that #*^@ doesnt work bench")
We had a lighten strike the other night....

One of my power strips decided to not reset... The heat for the RODI holding tank never turned back on..

69.5 degree water....
I did 20 gallon water change B4 noticing that the tank had plummeted

needless to say... I know whats coming.

:( i think i regret to inform you all that im walking away for a while, its just not a financially smart move right now, im about to buy a house... and my wife is pregnant with our first son

So if there wasn't a bigger omen to tell me that its time to retire a little... and come back stronger Idk

Im not exactly sold on my own story just yet..... but im venting cause its what im thinking, and Ive never thought this way about my tank ever...

oF course Im swinging in to "savory" mode, nemo is almost 15 and little nemo is 5 dory is like 8 so my ut-most concern is them

I have fresh cured rock On stand by i could assemble a another tank with whats laying around...

But IDk if i want to anymore...

Im going to wait and see what happens from the temp issue... then asses and report...

Wish them luck.

Last edited:
Sad story :(

When you buy your own house is when you WANT to set up a tank though! Grats on your first kid.

I just raised my Mg to 1700-1725. 5 weeks all bryopsis melted. Held it for another 10 days. Going to start taking it back down again. Maybe you should push it a bit past 1600. Seemed magical how it cleared it out. All bryopsis was gone, in its place some hair algae grew from its nutrients (pretty much on every spot that had bryopsis.) Just weeded that out and blew out any sediment, and don't expect to ever see it again...

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide...

Nawww....... false alarm

lol Im still a idiot ... LOL the probe on the Dt fell out... the cold temp was the floor... Not the tank..

altho i did pore cold water in there (which is a no no) that reading wasnt even close...

I only lost 3 degree...

But Im down in the gutters... With my fish tank... :( idk what to do

Last edited:
good to hear.

I couldn't believe how well 1700-1725 Mg with Kent M worked. Amazing. You should raise it a bit and see what happens.

Being that Tech M treats with an impurity, I think it is misleading when people say Raise to 1600 to 1700.

What if your Mg was high to start? going from 1400 to 1600 might not get enough impurity.
What if it was low? Maybe going from 1000 to 1400 (change of 400) is plenty of the impurity to kill off the bryopsis..

Think the net change is what really needs to be looked at, if it is in fact only the impurity doing the damage. I went from 1250 to 1700 (net change of 450) and the results were crazy.

Hey little man!! Sorry to hear about your tank troubles but congrats on the pregnancy!! :D. I must have missed that one on facebook! Maybe the taking a break came at the right time because children (especially infants) are quite a bit of work. I'm still tankless waiting to get my feet wet again. I know when the time is right it will happen. You'll be alright man...Good luck and keep us up to date with the pregnancy! I hope all goes well. :)

Was thinking about you Island man when i wrote this, thanks mate... totally happy about little man... Dalton Is his name :D

seems the Powder stuff doesnt work? after thinking this though (after the panic... Of OMG my tank is 69F... Then realizing... It isnt... it only dropped like nothing...)

Maybe I shouldn't give up until i really try the kent thing....

Naw man...Hang in there. You've been through a lot with your tanks and should be able to bring it back around. If not, then you just do what you feel you need to. I didn't want to tear down my tank, but life demanded more of my time and so I did it. Always another day. :)

Hey Jon never mind the troubled times an all, the last straw for the camel is only a test to see if its weak, your no camel so giddee up lol. Congrats on the child

Im gonna stick in there a little more...

i think the bryposis was getting to me... and then the thought that i dumped 20 gallons of cold water in there, kindda made it worse...

but being as I didn't dump cold water in there.. And perhaps my Mag levels aren't what they say they are (old test kit)

Ill make sure to maintain the higher level of Mag, and make sure its right... B4 i call it

Back