Bergi Nudis on Zoas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

artguy1

If you didn't know what Bergias looked like this picture would shock you if you turned on the lights in the morning and saw this huh? Nudis all over your Zoas...yikes!

Saw this on a website while surfing...Salty Underground

Berghia aren't dangerous to Zoanthids though are they? The ones pictured are eating Aiptasia, so probably introduced into the tank on purpose for that reason.

From what I understand you are correct. I was just a bit startled when I saw this picture. The zoas in this shot don't seem too happy however, but who knows the surroundings in which this photo was taken. They could be closed up due to the aiptasias/stress from being stung too I guess.

The Bergis seem to be much "whiter" in color than the predacious zoa nudis. The frilly little skirt thingys coming off of each side of their back do seem similar however.

Be carefull, I had some in my tank that looked like Berghia, and they wouldn't even touch the Aptasia, but nearly mowed through a huge colony of Zoanthids (hmmmm...apparently zoa nudis). Took me forever to get rid of them all. Daily iodine dips for about two weeks straight before they quit showing up. If they're covering your zoa's, I'd suspect they're not really Berghia.

I agree with you Pentagona, kinda like I said, it's startling to see these on the ZOAS, even if they a Bergis.

From my observation the Bergi Nudis are whitish in color. The Zoa Predator Nudis are almost camouflaged when on the Zoas. By that I mean the "frilly" extensions of their body resemble the zoas they are messing with.

When you were doing iodine dips were you scraping any egg cases off on the zoas as well? I believe the egg cases are not affected by the iodine dips, at least from what I have read. Can anyone confirm this?

I couldn't see any egg cases on the rock the colony was attached too, so I was forced to wait it out, and treat often enough to stay ahead of their reproduction. The colony survived it though, but took a while to get back to it's once full glory.

Last edited:
The egg cases are actually little curly-Q bundles on the Zoa itself. Reference picture attached (not my Photo however), but it illustrates the threat accurately. They are sticky little egg cases that are not that east to get off.

Glad to know your zoas survived the little buggers!

BTW, We're going to be in North Bend for Turkey Day. Your neck of the woods I believe. My In-Laws live on Echo Lake, right by HWY 18 & I-90, tucked in the woods back in there. We usually play a few cards & have a blast. Anyhow...Take care!

We love it out here. We're in downtown NB. Other than the flooding (don't even get me startedon that subject) it's beautiful. We have Mt. SI right out our front window. We were sweating bullets this last go round of floods. Water came up to the front door but not into the house!

Back