best addition to DIY food for SPS corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akunochi

Mr. Reckless
OK so I like to make my own food and was wondering what I could add for the SPS corals I am adding heavily to the new tank. I will have several encrusting montis and acros in there. Here is what my food generally looks like:

Mysis
Krill
Mussels
Oysters
Small amount of salmon fillet
Roe
Cyclopeeze
baby octopus
nori

all food processed and then frozen. I am probably forgetting some stuff in the recipe since I haven't made any in awhile.

Looking for general improvements. I like the DIY style just because it mixes everything together so you get a more "entire tank" food when you feed.

Looks to me like you have a pretty good list. Rotifers are the building blocks of the sea and are smaller than anything on your list.

Totally forgot rotifers. I am going to be setting up live cultures when I get home as soon as my picasso clowns start the baby dance. My goal within the next year is to begin trying to breed the picasso's for local sale and hopefully some store credit to local stores.

I would also like to setup up a coral prop station to start gaining experience in that area...maybe one yearlog long from now I can make this hobby at least pay for 75% of its own costs.

Trido,

when I get moving in that direction I may seek your advice on plumbing etc for the breeding/prop system.

I'll look into the oyster eggs for sure. The salmon has been a much debated topic depending on the board. I am trying it this batch but in a very very small amount to test it. I may remove it next time.

Experiment is the key to disaster right ;)

I used to put salmon in my homemade food. After being told about it being oily I quit and never really noticed a change for the better or worse. Mostly is missed the excuse to have salmon for my dinner. Another way to look at salmon in our fish food, it isnt a natural fish on a tropical reef.

I'll be more than happy to share plumbing ideas any time.

Back