Best Bio pellet Setup?!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tyson256031

Thinking about adding a Bio pellet system to my tank. Is it really worth it? Or should i stick with GFO and Macro Algae's? Thanks guys!

well that depends...is GFO and macro algae giving you the desired results you want?? if yes, then no need for bio pellets..but keep in mind that u most likely will NOT see any result from a bio pellet reactor until it has been setup for 2 months..

so this method is NOT a panacea.

I use a Phosban reactor for my bio pellets and i really dislike the reactor. I'd love to hear what others are using. I've been running the pellets for over a year now.

i am using a Super Octopus Bio Pellet reactor and like it..really easy to set up and get it going..but I am adding media slowly so is taking longer to reduce Nitrate and PO4 levels then I would like.

I'm using the Avast Marine MR-5 18 inch tall reactor for bio pellets.

I've only been using it for about 3 weeks but I'm happy with the reactor itself. I'm also using the Phosban reactor for GFO, so I understand why you dont like it.

Avast also has a version that you can build yourself for a little less money...

Nick

Mojo and myself just finished building some pellet reactors. I will be doing a test this weekend to see what size pump will tumble the pellets.

I will post a video of the results of each design.

What is it you dont like about the reactor? How it tumbles the media? It takes to long to get results? Not removing nutrients?

Some on the market are cheap! Some are over priced!

I think we have about $70-$90 in material, depending on the tube size.

I like my reactor. I started it up a couple weeks before I put in SPS as I was constantly dealing with phos levels around 1.0. It has been running for two months now and my phos levels have droped to 0.25. I have noticed my nitrate/ nitrite levels remain at or near zero and the few areas of hair alge have reduced significantly. Not sure if they are related but I'm happy.

I tried the bio pellets first and a few days after starting them up my water turned milky white. I dont know if I didnt have enough tumbling action but the pellets kind of melted togther. I only took a day to clean out and then I switched to phosban. Best stuff for the money IMHO.

I'm running mine in a tlf reactor the big one and it seems OK but really have to crank it up to get the boil I think I need. Would like to try the reef dynamics reactor it seems to give you the control we are missing.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I own the cadslights bio reactor with about 500ml of brs bio pellets. Only been on for a week and the green algae is disappearing from the front of the glass. How ever I'm getting a brown diatom attack on my sand. Also seeing cyano now so I don't know what is causing it. Haven't tested my parameters yet but I am seeing a difference

cyano is caused by the small amount of ammonia that is being used by the bio pellet reactor...

skimmy,

I have this reactor but not in the space saving mode. :)
It is very easy to setup.

vertex and vertex two years strong.

They just redid there pellets , now they are better.

very effective !!

Red c

Back