Best canister filter?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BlennyBabe

Rachel
I have been running my tank with no filters for the past few years. However i would like to clean my water column up a bit and add some more filtration and the ability to run carbon easily.
What is your favorite brand of canister filter?
rena, fluval, eheim?
My tank is a 75, but I would like something rated bigger than that, ans something that could add a lot of flow.
Thanks

I would recommend a Mag 350 Canister (one that sits underneath not the hang on type) i say this because i've heard bad things about the hang on model that its not as efficentas the one that sits below the tank. Anyways they work great (at least for me). They don't have a lot of flow but its a great filter. You can either use a desired media or they have cartridges similar to those on a bio wheel. Runs carbon nicely!(thats what i used it for) that should meet your filtration need for a canister. I ran one on a 75 but you should also run something else like a Protein skimmer or phosphate remover/sponge. Depending on what you have in your tank.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I have a fluval 304 that has worked well for me. It is quiet, easy to clean and has never failed. I don't use the internal sponges. Instead I put a sponge on the intake, and this makes it very easy to clean the debris from the filter - takes less than 3 min. My father has the Magnum 350 and it is very noisy, I guess the trapped air. Though if I were to buy another canister filter today I would buy an Ehiem. The only reason I didn't buy one is because no one near me sells them so it is a mail order only product for me. The reason I would buy an Ehiem is that with an inlet on the bottom and an outlet on the top there is no chance for bypass. I have also been really happy with the outstanding quality of other Ehiem products that I have bought, mostly pumps.

I've had a fluval, but got a lemon(LOL) The head leaked and caused me to take down my whole tank because I thought it was leaking. Nevertheless, they seem pretty good and I just think I got screwed by some old stock. My favorite so far has been the magnum 350 and the H.O.T magnum. The magnum 350 like Jeff said, can get noisey when starting up (as air gets trapped) or if you get some loose pieces of charoal in there, but once the water completely fills the cannister after starting up and the air is pushed out, they are pretty quite...Atleast all of mine were (had 3) Also, you have the ability to run a polishing cartridge in it which is great after a water change or aquascaping. After 24hrs of continuous use, I've had polishing cartridges completely stop flow! It removes that much, but not recommended for use longer than 24 hs at a time. Just make sure you keep away from the sponges or sleeves. They are bad new IMO as they will trap junk from the tank and it will definately breakdown in there and deplete water quality before you change it out or clean it. With cannisters, pulling them apart is a task in themselves and people usually just neglect them because of the. The quickest and easiest one to use is the H.O.T mangnum IMO. HTH

I like Rena xp3 I use them on the freshwater tanks I take care of. Got 4 of them running. No problems. Two used in the garage for emergencies here.

I also use a rena xp3 along with my skimmer. When i upgrade to a larger skimmer I will most likely do away with the canister

jake

Back