Best corals for 20g nano

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

vikubz

I have an empty tank just itching to have something in it. It's a 20g tall, and I have a 110w pc light that I can put on it, so I'm thinking I could keep some types of LPS corals. What types of LPS are better choices for a small tank?

My idea for this tank is to have 3 or 4 corals, 2 or 3 shrimp, maybe a brittle star,
and cleaning crew. Maybe a small goby, or maybe no fish at all.

I would have LR, 4" sand bed, HOB filter w/carbon, powerhead for additonal flow. No skimmer, but I would do water changes to make up.

Thanks,
Mark

I have a frogspawn coral (Euphyllia divisa) in a 12 gallon, under 96w of PC light. It's been in there for about a year. I originally got it with 3 heads, it now has 6 heads plus numerous buds forming on the stalks.

It's been very easy to care for, you just need to keep an eye on your Calcium levels.

Also have an acan lord (Acanthastrea lordhowensis) that is doing equally well, which I've had for a few months more than the frogspawn.

I also run with no skimmer.

But... before you put anything in there, you may want to rethink the DSB. The experts here can confirm, but I don't think there is enough surface area in a 20 high for a DSB to be effective. I can't remember what side of that argument Anthony is on, but I would of course follow his suggestions.

At the least I would cram as many Nassarius snails in there that you could :)

Thanks for the info. Actually, after my experience with my 29g, I don't know why I thought a dsb would be a good idea. I had problems until I removed the sand bed, and now it's doing quite well.

How about montipora, lobophyllum or caulastrea species? From reading Borneman, they seem less aggressive and fairly hardy.

you will want/need slow gowing and weakly aggressive species.

Acanthastrea, Blastomussa, Micromussa, Caulastrea - all excellent choices

Lobophyllia, Trachyphyllia... plus the likes of Galaxea and any of the Euphyllids are way too aggressive and have exceedingly long polyps to make themn safe/sensible long term in small tanks

You mention two that I had in mind after perusing Borneman's book. The blastomussa and caulastrea both looked like they'd be very attractive corals.

I had problems until I removed the sand bed, and now it's doing quite well.

Very useful opinions about dsb .:) .
.. my friend please tell me .. you replace the dsb with what ?
you thing 2¨ of fine aragonite is better? or something else:idea: ..

I didn't replace it at all. The display tank is bare bottom, and there's no longer any LR or LS in the sump. I believe the consensus is that 1" or less fine sand is okay for aesthetic purposes, or for sand burrowing creatures like gobies.

Mark

thanks for replay Mark ..

… but how you keep biological filtration ? only with LR in display tank ?
thank you

Yes, the LR is all the bio filtration I have. I have the tank lightly stocked as well.
Once I removed the sand, within a week all my nuisance algae had disappeared and has not been back.

Lobophyllia, Trachyphyllia... plus the likes of Galaxea and any of the Euphyllids are way too aggressive and have exceedingly long polyps to make themn safe/sensible long term in small tanks

What is it that makes trachyphyllia aggressive, and what size tank would you recomend for them?

the issue is sweeper tentacles at night... several inches, but also the mucus net the produce... body swelling to 3-4X plus a sloughed noxious mucus net (feeding response) stressing your other corals at night.

i have a a couple of trachys and a one on my favourite corals they are an australian speices and were wild caught from rowley shoals, i have seen them open up to expose there mouths and have little tenetecals but they never get longer then 1cm they do expande to a very nice size i want to setup up a trachy dominated tank but dont think 4 fluros is enough i also think they do there best when glued to LR
this is just what i have seen in my tank and fellow hobbists, lfs

water flow has a tremendous influence on polyp/tentacle extension. Moreso than light in many, many cases. Generally... stronger flow means shorter tentacles.

you will want/need slow gowing and weakly aggressive species.

Acanthastrea, Blastomussa, Micromussa, Caulastrea - all excellent choices

Good suggestions of course, but I do want to point out that if you put an Acanthastrea in the tank, make sure there are no other corals within at least an inch (better two inches), they can really do a lot of damage to nearby corals that can't defend themselves:

acanaggression2.jpg

Damage afterwards:

20051218faviteswoundcloseup.jpg

Just passing along my DOH!

Brian

Back