best external skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What is the best external skimmer for a 75 gall0on tank??
(a friend wants to know)

Tell your friend Seaclone's rock!!! :lol: J/K I've been out of the hobby for a while, but when I did have my setup, with a small bioload, my Aqua C did a great job on my 75gal. Never had any issues. I'm sure there are tons of better skimmers out there now, but just going by personal experience, I liked the Aqua C (I think it was the EV120 if I remember correctly) :)

wow the islander returns! lol whats up man.... long time

Im also a fan of aqua C just cause there service.. but at every suggestion i place Im thrown under the bus like its going outta style.

My 75 is set up right now runing a extra remora nano! and its working fine... But im planing on the ev 120 as well.... for me service is worth more then how well it does or how cheap, or who made it.

knowing i have somewhere to call should it fail is nice... when you have thousands of dollars invested

I was thinking Aqua C he's got like 1'6" to squeeze it in ?!?
He does have a sump/fuge but want to have an external up on a shelf or something..
How much are those Aqua C's and the Eshopps ???

I was thinking Aqua C he's got like 1'6" to squeeze it in ?!?
He does have a sump/fuge but want to have an external up on a shelf or something..
How much are those Aqua C's and the Eshopps ???

Here's a picture of how I had mine plumbed externally. I think I paid just under $300 for it at the time. :)

The remora sucks relative to the 75h, trust me. The Eshopps hang on only has a couple inches inside the tank

Hiya Mike!!! :D

BTW Krish, how the heck are ya!
Haven't seen you around alot..
Did I read right?
Did you say you don't have a tank right now?
Thats a bummer..

Adam if your friend decided to go with the Aqua C LMK I have an extra. I think that Eshoppes would be a better choice though.

I use to have an aqua c 120 on my 120g about 6-7 years ago. I can't say I would reccomend it though. It sucked for me. A little research and you will find the right one.

I suppose it depends on how you define "best". Bang for your buck? Energy efficient yet still more than adequate for the application? Small, easy to use and not finicky?

I will finally be setting up my 75-gallon RR tank in a month or so. My current plans are to employ a used Reef Concepts Aerofoamer 824 that I picked up last spring. It is a well-built Becket skimmer that takes up a good amount of real estate in my stand, but I figured what the heck. It is not new or sexy or particularly energy efficient, but it sure can skim.

g

BTW Krish, how the heck are ya!
Haven't seen you around alot..
Did I read right?
Did you say you don't have a tank right now?
Thats a bummer..

I'm doing good man!! Thanks!! :D Yes, I am tankless...Been that way for about 2 years now :oops: In the process of planning another tank now before the new year so we'll see how it goes. :)

best external for 75g??

whelp, i'd say ATB small cone external would be best, but that's a $1200 skimmer, I assume your buddy probably doesnt want to spend that much on a skimmer for 75g. though...lol
a good performing external skimmer for 75g for cheap might be the bubble magus bm160 (700lph air @ 20w) , similar design as the deltec apf600, but better air draw from the same AB 2000/1 pump (if you can believe it, 200lph more...)

I wish SWC made an external mini cone skimmer, that would be awesome...

I have an Aqua C Remora and I used a MJ1200 on it, it skimmed VERY wet. I think the key would have been to put a Mag 3 on it. Even though the MJ1200 is recommended by AquaC, I think it is a little bit to underpowered. I borrowed a friends Aqua C Remora Pro w/ a Mag 3 and it kicks some serious ass. Aqua C's customer service is top notch. I called them to order a drain plug for my skimmer cup and they sent me one for free and they were more then happy to spend the time answering a few of my questions.

Back