Best food for tangs?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blood Shrimp

I just bought a powder blue tang. He doesn't seem to be too interested in my chaeto and sea lettuce, which I was hoping for. So what are the best foods I could give him? I want something that needs no preparation, that I can just put it in that's healthy and he will eat it. I also have a flame angel that I want to feed some greens as well.

I buy dried seaweed from an Asian store. It comes in pieces about 18" long. I break off a piece and rubber band it to a piece of pvc pipe hanging in the tank. It does not dissolve like nori. When it gets wet it become large leaves about 2-3 inches across. The tangs love it and it lasts for a couple of days in the tank.

"Variety is the spice of life!"

I use nori and Purple Sea Veggies primarily--but also New Life Spectrum Pellets--and frozen mysis, and omega1 cubes from time to time....
(My Hippo Tang gets alot of whatever goes into the tank--she's a pig! :p )

I've read elsewhere that most land-based veggies (e.g. lettuce) do not have a good nutritional balance for marine fish--try to stick with marine vegetables--but Broccoli (cooked slightly) IS a good land-based option....

For a very complete article on marine nutrition check out:
http://www.reefland.com/forum/marin...18767-feeding-marine-fish-fish-nutrition.html

(Or it's posted in sections as sticky in the Marine Fishes forum here on RF! ;) )

Back