best hangon skimmer for small tanks?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sparks

I got a 40gallon mushroom reef and am in need of a good hang-on skimmer, suggestions? & "Cheaper" is easier on my wallet.

i don't know if this one would be cheap a cheap one for you but what about the prizm skimmer from red sea.
i have that one and so far so good, better than my old skimmer which only lasted me 4 months :p .

go with aqua-c

It is the best Sparks save till you can get one I love mine I personally have 3 aqua-c lines and they all work great with very little maint. except for draining the tray cup :)

Sparks said:
I got a 40gallon mushroom reef and am in need of a good hang-on skimmer, suggestions? & "Cheaper" is easier on my wallet.

i would definately say the remora or remora pro,
for the size and money idont think there is a better hang on skimmer.
plus it will out produce any other hang on skimmer you can buy.
if you want to go a little cheaper and not quite as good the coralife hang on needle wheel skimmers are suppose to be good, much better than prism, berlin, sea clown, bakpack.
dont skimp on the skimmer!!! probably the singular most important piece of equipment you own!!
also, if you have a pound per gallon of live rock i would suggest removing the media from your canister filter and just runing carbon in it.
so go out and buy that remora pro!!! i see used ones on ebay often!

There are CPR knockoffs available for around $40 on ebay. DO a search for it and see if you can find one that is a dark acrylic. They are NOISEY, but skim ok and have bio-media in them. I run it on my FOWLR setup and have good results. It's my only filtration on that system, run for about 4 months now.

Back