best way to remove all phosphate?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skeptic9962

im slowly getting everything back on-track and now that nitrates are down to 0 everything is looking alot better in the tank but there is still algae growth all along the sand and also along some of the rock mostly brown on sand and a little green hair algae my best guess at this would be the phosphate is way up dont have a kit for it yet so going to go get it tested tomorrow ive heard a real good way to get rid of all phosphate and keep it gone along with RODI water and feeding less is using a phosban reactor 150 by Twolittlefishies... anyone have an easier way or better way to reduce it?

Besides watching your input, rowa and other gfo really help alot. You will never get it all gone and dont want to. .03 is a good target and not that hard to hit. I would invest in a good P test kit or even better a colorimeter. The hanna is a good one and the only way your going to get accurate reading down that low.

Don

can you use rowaphos without a reactor or is the best way with a reactor? i have a cascade canister filter that all i run in it is carbon is it possible to toss it on the 2nd tray? if not the phosban reactor 150 is only like 35 bucks

really, the Phosban reactor works well. drive it with a small pump like a Hydor Seltz 20 and you will be good to go. You then only have to test the water that exits the reactor to tell when the media needs to be replaced. I usually replace the media when I get a reading around 0.08 ppm.

I ran a phosban reactor as well and had great success. It won't rid your tank of phosphates all on it's own as it does take good husbandry as well (water changes etc) but does help. I ran the 2 little fishies phosban reactor without any complaints at all using the Julian Sprungs phosban media however I do hear alot of people using rowaphos etc. with the same results :)

im using the kent marine reef carbon....not made to use in water? doesnt make sense....i know its not the best but barrier was saying that as long as you change it weekly itll rid the tank of almost all toxins and such.

im using the kent marine reef carbon....not made to use in water? doesnt make sense....i know its not the best but barrier was saying that as long as you change it weekly itll rid the tank of almost all toxins and such.

There are carbons designed to filter air and others for water. Kent is designed for air. We just had a big discussion about Kent carbon, I think its in the chem forum. Switch to a good carbon and youll see the difference real quick, probably within hours, but go slow since the Kent isnt doing much for you, you dont want to clear the water to quickly and cause problems.

Don

I guess the question needs to be asked, "why are your phosphates high to begin with"?

the best way to control phosphates is to determine the root cause and curtail this behavior. (sorry, this is 12yrs of software technical support coming out). :D:D

Kirk

Last edited:
so are you not planning on feeding your animals. Test some of the foods out there. They are off the charts when it comes to phosphate.

so are you not planning on feeding your animals. Test some of the foods out there. They are off the charts when it comes to phosphate.

Agreed food makes P a constant battle. GFO's help alot but food selection helps also. Feeding many meals instead of one every now and again will also allow the fish to actually digest the food along with P. instead of just sending undigested food out their rear end.

Don

Hey Don, on that link you posted above, you mention ROX, I cant find that on their site (I'm blind, I know), do you have a link that points there directly?

While we are on the Carbon kick here is a good thread:

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums...20&highlight=Granular+Activated+Carbon&page=3

You can see Boomer's top 5.

I tend to use WM or TLF only in my tank. After first starting running WM carbon I had polyp extension for the first time. (Which is puzzling to begin with) None the less I run carbon, have a fuge and plan to add my phosban reactor back into the mix. I run my carbon through my current TLF phosban reactor.

Good luck on your phosphate issue.

Back