Best way to set up clowns to pair up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

KillaCam

So my tank is currently empty and cycling, which leaves me with the decision of (when the tank is ready) which fish to add first. I've decided that a clownfish is where I wanna go, but I'd like to have a pair. My goal is not to be a breeder, at least not yet lol, but I would like to be able to watch that relationship form in my tank.

My question is, what is the best practice to put the clowns in the best scenario to pair up. I've read that it's not always certain, but want to do everything possible to allow it to happen. Also, I should note that I'd like to get the clowns as juviniles and watch them grow.

Should I add them both at the same time? One before the other? Quarantine them separately or together?

New to the hobby and want to start well.

Generally if you get two small clowns you'll do fine.
If you decide to only get one after your cycle to try to ensure you don't end up overloading anything, just make sure when you get the second it is smaller. Its never a gaurentee, but it works most of the time

Thanks for the replies scooterman and spieszak

The follow question would be is it ok to add two to a newly cycled tank? I'm cycling with an ammonia and water mix and am gonna consider the tank ready when it can handle a dose of ammonia enough to test 2 ppm and 24 hours later read 0.

Two clowns should be fine after a good cycle.
One other thing to consider is that clowns are fairly aggressive, and aggressive fish should be added last when feasible, since it gives more timid fish a chance to establish in their new home.
Do you have a stock list of the fish you would like to add?

Oh man, didn't even think of that. And I've just started to look into what i will want to keep (as far as fish go). The whole system I'd like to represent as much diversity as possible. Coral will be a mixed tank, and I plan on having plenty of inverts. The only thing I haven't figured out is the 'what' as far as livestock go. I think sand sifter gobies are cool and I have a fuge that eventually I'd like to supply food enough for a red scooter dragonet (or goby, I've seen them named both).

Any suggestions would be more then welcome

those sound like OK choices, I'd be a bit wary of the dragonet, just give the fuge lots of time to establish.
Sandsifter gobies are great, until they spray sand all over your corals. Just something to keep in mind.
I don't think clowns would be too aggressive towards either of those.

Blennies, firefish and cardinals are all pretty good choices for a 40 gallon
It will be a lot easier to maintain if you keep the number of fish pretty low..

Thanks for the advice Stacey, I'm going to check those suggestions out.
Concerning the fish load, what would be a good number to shoot for?

number of fish is always a tough question to answer.
I'd plan for 5 or 6 small fish, added pretty slowly, and adjust as you see how they affect the tank and your maintenance schedule. If you do more work (larger more frequent water changes), you can have more fish (within reason).. if you'd rather be more relaxed about maintenance, less fish.
Its a good idea to check the compatibility of the fish you are looking at too. Fish don't tend to like other fish that look like them, unless you are able to pair them. Fish that look alike tend to want to live in the same places and hunt the same food, its a by product of evolution... in nature, food and hiding places are more scarce, even in the big wide ocean, because venturing to those places is wrought with peril. So, it would seem when fish see fish that look like them, they assume they will want to steal their spot and eat their food, and things can easily turn bad.
Have you considered a QT tank? (I always QT. Your choices are your choices, and I won't push mine on you)

That number seems perfect, I think I'm gonna research and try to find a fish for every 'zone' (for lack of a better term) of the tank. I.e. Something that stays at the bottom normally, a middle, and a fish that likes to swim higher normally.

I plan on utilizing the tank transfer method. I have the time to do it and like how effective it is at killing ich. Then will keep for a little longer in a qt to watch for other stuff.

When considering fish also consider full adult size, sometimes that will get over looked. In reality the clowns depending on which ones you decide on can get fairly sizable for a 40g tank, so make them your BIG fish and get the others that will mature much smaller. I would lean toward less fish as in the clowns and at most 2 or 3 smaller ones. Also consider the everything else you add that is alive will add to the Bio-load, also at maturity, corals can grow and take up lots of space.

I really appreciate this advices from all of you. Thank you so much for sharing them :)

Back