best way to start a frag tank ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

austin6965

recently ive been wanting to start a frag tank and ive been trying to talk my dad into letting me :eyebrows: so im trying to figure out how to start , i plan on using a 20 gallon tank (30in length X 12in width X 12in high) i have a light that was from an old 25 gl nano cub , im pretty positive it will be strong enough for the most part (i hope) , one thing im not sure about though is how to go about the filtering system we have a 10 gl sump in the garage but no pumps or over flow and plumbing , is it possible to just use a standard filtering system you can get at pet stores or no:confused: ? its only going to be used for coral but im new to a lot of this so i dont know everything , anyway if you have any advice on how u should do this please tell :wave:

Since Coral requires good water quality, I would say personally that you should have at least a HOB skimmer. It would be best to setup a sump and get a lot of water flow through there.

The only time I have found a standard HOB carbon filter to work is on a QT tank.

Oh, and nice to see someone of similar age on the forum :lol:

we have an extra HOB skimmer somewhere so thats taken care of at least , and ill try and see about getting everything for the sump to get that going i think theres a pump some where not completely sure on that haha

and thanks haha :lol:

What type of light are you going to use?
You will need flow inside the tank.

The easiest way to do this to start with what you have? Assuming your light is good enough for corals.
Just get a HOB filter and media, HOB skimmer rated for a 40 gal tank, a couple of power heads, heater. Set it up, run it thru your typical cycle. Add your corals bit by bit.
Here is the MOST IMPORTANT part. Do a 20% water change every week!!!!!

Others will voice their opinions. I will bet my paycheck this method will work if you DO the WATERCHANGES!!!!

the light that i plan on using is a CF lighting system that was on my old nano cub , i have my dads 40gl breeder tank with a 20gl sump and also with a T5 lighting , but the CF light seemed to do good for the coral that where in the nano. which are half the coral in my 40gl now .

and i have a HOB skimmer , and heater .

and if i get the HOB filter and media does that take the sump out the equation or should i still run with a sump ???

ill have to get a couple power heads as well.

You can set up the sump if you like. IMO not necessary If you decide to.
You should drill the 40 for an overflow. Build an overflow box. You will need a return pump, plumbing, and a gate valve, to adjust the flow.
The CF lighting will be good for most soft corals, a few LPS. But not enough for SPS. The T-5s will be good for all.
If you go the HOB route skimmer and filter. No sump is required. What is required is the weekly WC.

I am trying to save you some $ by going sumpless. You can do this without a sump. Will the sump help? Yes. How much $ do have to set this up? How much time do you have to invest? How handy are you at DIY?

i have all the time in the world its not something that needs to be done i one day haha i still have school and work and track coming up soon so im not in a rush to do it

my dad will help me out through the process(hes really good at the whole DIY stuff built the stand for the 40gl him self and did somethings to his 135gl) , it was my idea so ill probably do a lot of it , going to see if we can get someone to drill holes in the 20gl for the over flow instead of a over flow box (they have done many drills to tanks to do this) if not then probably will go with the HOB filter or just have to get a over flow ,

But $ is completely up to him i can pay for some of it or he can split the cost . thats up to him .

im not trying to spend a whole lot of $ into it , ive found a couple cheap power heads that should make enough flow for a 20gl tank
Marineland-Maxi-Jet-400-Pro-Powerhead-%28110-500-GPH%29-1.jpg

Marineland-Maxi-Jet-400-Pro-Powerhead-%28110-500-GPH%29-99.jpg

[h=1]Marineland Maxi-Jet Pro Powerhead[/h]

Well that changes everything!! LOL
You will have a much more stable system if you plumb in a sump. Since you have the time, and already have most of the equipment, less the return pump, and some plumbing parts.
I would favor you spend some time with dad and work together getting your frag tank/system up and running.

Back