Bio vs. Lava

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

immedicatdru2

I have read in a couple of places recently where lava rock has been used to replace bio-balls. is this a god idea or should I just stick with what comes in the filter?

I'd avoid the lava rock...it may have undesireable stuff in there like metals you don't want leeching into your water....

MikeS

I'd avoid the bio balls as they accumulate nitrates slowly take a few out each week until there all gone and your nitrates should decrease alot :)

MikeS...It's that bio-ball/LR thingy again(LOL) Steven, LR is better than bio-balls anyday when trying to rid a tank of nitrates as bio-balls have no way of doing it. I'm not familiar with Lava rock, but it seems that that particular rock isn't really good or suitable for aquarium use as MikeS stated.

Lava is made of metal silicates stable at high temperatures. it is not likely to be very stable at all at lower temps submerged in water, though is going to be dependant on the exact makeup. If it breaks down it is going to release those metals and silicate minerals as ions, and that is going to likely 'help' give you algae problems.

I kept some lava in my display once and some very red hair and branch algaes grew very, very quickly on it compared to calcaerous material

Im not sure I buy into the bioballs being nitrate factories. Ive also heard of people and have done this myself on fish only tanks. You, as with any filter have to maintain them. Every so often you can clean a portion of the bioballs and replace them. you do this in a sequence so not to disturb the whole load all at once. Even live rock should be cleaned off or you will have the same problems. Ilso have some tuffa in my tank which I am now going to remove Thanks.

I don't always buy into the fact that being a nitrate factory is always such a disaster. It's just a fact you need to realise and deal with. I'm not sure what you would get from the fact that you've replaced the bioballs ,but I agree if you can keep your wetdry or whatever filter clean you'll get a lot less bother from it.

hi mike, wouldnt that be true about almost anything in the tank other than the o2 deficient areas such as live rock sand beds etc?

Back