BiocubeRapid LED Dimmer Help!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dsiu25

Ah,

So I just bought a 14 gallon biocube with 12 cree rapidled retrofitted hood from a RF member. Lights are dimmable but only with one driver.

Everything was working fine for the first couple days, but the light's dimmer suddenly stopped working today.
I had it on about 75%, and it just dimmed itself to maybe about 15%. The LEDs will still dim down further and shut off, but they refuse to turn any brighter.

I'm still really new to LEDs but I spent all day yesterday and today reading up on it, and can't figure it out. Maybe the driver is just defective?
Any suggestions or advice would greatly be appreciated!

Thank You!

I would check the input voltage coming from the dimmer. If it is not 10vdc you will not get the full brightness. If that is right then I would check to see if there is corrosion built up on any of the contacts.

Hmm yeah, thats what I was thinking, it just seems odd that it was working fine this morning and now it isn't.. I don't have an ohm reader though so can't figure it out..Just frustrated I'm already having problems less than a week in..can't seem to figure out the problem.

Ah I should probably also add that one of the blues is burnt out so that only 11 are functioning... could that be an issue? thanks

Definitely a problem. Right now if it is still getting a ground it probably has a large amount of resistance. Try routing a wire around the burnt out one.

+1 on above advice from Floyd, re-route or replace emitter and all should be good. If it's a centrally located LED you might even replace it with another color if not already a mix. ie: if only Cool White and Royal Blues add a Green/Cyan, Violet or regular Blue.

Cheers, Todd

hm.. sounds good guys, I will try to figure out this whole soldering process tomorrow, and hope it works! thanks

I would not run your lights, until this gets fixed. The reason for that is it could cause all LEDs to burn up. Just my thought.

Back